02 February 2015

The Split/Apple 2015 Deadheads On Parade!


The Split/Apple experienced some significant growing pains during the spring of 1995. Gone were the days of an idealistic non-profit that fosters the growth and development of the emerging artist and in its place had become this unique and groovy underground hippy dungeon kind of venue for various rock and roll bands and under-age suburban kids. The roommate situation had gone from simply Mark and I to include Kelly, Mark’s high school friend Atom Space along with a stranger named Alfredo from Columbia College. There were also several other random people who crashed or sofa surfed through our friendly confines all year long. I gradually grew both more manic and more impatient in dealing with Mark and his group of people. They were resisting my lead, probably sensing my increasingly BiPolar behaviors and they seemed to struggle with me for power and control of the organization. They did not have a chance, however, I was already thinking four steps ahead of them, I controlled both the lease and the purse strings and I was almost 20 years older than any one of them. I was done with listening, I was finished with leading by consensus, I became to flex my intellect, power and financial muscle in a more aggressive, assertive and arrogantly twisted iron tightfisted way. No more pussy-footing around, kids, this was the real deal and either get on the fucking bus or get run over as I steered the organization towards new, more profitable grounds. I made a deal that if the event went sour and flopped, I'd respectfully resign and relinquish the organization to Mark. However, if I was proved right, there would be no more discussion about who is in charge and who calls the shots at The Split/Apple. If the event was a success, d’Philip Chalmers was the one and only in charge, end of discussions. The proposal was a really big event to coincide with The Grateful Dead’s performances at Soldier’s Field on July 8th and 9th, two shows that ended their summer tour. It was their very last two shows ever (Garcia died the following month). The project was a three day perpetual event called “Deadheads On Parade” and it was a way to both capture that home-grown audience/market I was part of as well as generate a great deal of income.



We used “old school” methods to promote the event directly to the audiences by passing our trippy looking flyer/newsletter at the four shows before Chicago. Kelly and I even traveled to Deer Creek in Noblesville, Indiana for a couple of shows to pass out flyers. The first show in Indiana, however, since we didn't have tickets, we stayed in the parking lot talking up our event when there was a violent gate crashing incident. The next night, the show we had tickets to attend, however, was canceled by The Grateful Dead. The next set of shows, in St. Louis, we sent some friends to pass out flyers but like Indiana, that set of shows was also marred with a tragic accident at some place where a lot of Deadheads were staying. Several kids were killed when a porch collapsed on them. I had tickets for the 2nd Chicago show but I was so paranoid about The Split/Apple becoming over whelmed by the fans and we'd become the third tragic event on this long, strange trip of a tour. I wrote a frantic letter to my friend inside The Grateful Dead organization, their historian and PR dude, Dennis McNally pleading for advice or perhaps help. I got it to him on the 1st night with the help of a couple of cool roadies I was friendly with but I decided to not attend the 2nd show because I needed to hang back to make sure everything was going to be alright. Kelly also gave up her ticket too, but most regrettably, she never got the chance to see The Grateful Dead.


The idea was to open the doors to The Split/Apple on the Friday before the shows (July 7th), at about sunset. We charged people a $5/person admission fee and invited them to pull up some space on our 4,000 square foot floor to stay the night. Understanding that Deadheads (people like me who followed The Grateful Dead around the country) needed a place to stay in Chicago, a city where hotel rooms near the venue started at about $250/night and limited the capacity to only 4 people per room. The Split/Apple, located a short 6 block walk due East to Soldier’s Field, was an ideal place to accommodate my hippie friends. There is no camping in the city but we had two safe, large parking lots which were fenced in and protected. We charged $20/vehicle per day for parking/camping. We stocked our merchandise inventory with cases of bottled water, soda and ice. We bought 50 pounds of trail mix in bulk and then re-packaged it baggies to look like ounces of weed and had a ton of raw veggies, a few cases of ramen noodles with free hot water and if someone wanted to cook their own food, we provide that too. In the mornings we chopped up 50 good sized watermelons and sold them in little 4 ounce plastic cups and we sold about 50 pounds of bananas too. We had two large catering sized coffee makers, we had a special “security room” for valuables and 24 hours service during the entire three day event. The only things we didn’t sell ourselves was alcohol, drugs or sex, but there was a lot of that going around anyway.


On Friday, as people trickled into town, we had an open drumming and jam session. Many of the first to arrive were Shakedown Street vendors and artists, so we encouraged them to sell their wares and we created a very easy, friendly and casual environment for our first 250 or so Deadhead friends. The vibe was low key and easy, I had the opportunity to mix and mingle, playing the ever friendly host of the event, welcoming these people from my tribe into this that was my home. I was told many times during the evening that our guests were impressed and they couldn’t wait to tell their friends about this place. It was exciting, it was fun and that first Friday night, before the shows, it was a mellow and peaceful scene that did my soul a wonder of good. My Split/Apple partners were impressed too, they were amazed at how manageable the scene was, they were happy with the sales we were making but most of all, they really seemed to like these Deadheads! The evening eventually mellowed into collective slumber and Mark stayed up on the al night look-out. We had only three campers on the first night so the lot was no problem to look out for and as the morning came, people started to rise and shine. The check out process was to either leave with your stuff and come back after 3pm and pay another $5 or, if you were planning to stay, you could buy a “Terrapin Station” pass for $25, leave you stuff, claim you space and come and go as much as you wanted for 24 hours. We sold a ton of those passes!


Saturday, the day of the first show, people started flowing in faster. Word had spread about our groovy scene and before sundown we already had over 500 guests; I started to get freaked out, however, because of the vibe I was getting when I went to pass out flyers at the parking lot. At Deercreek, there was the gate crashers, then the next shows in St. Louis some Deadhead kids had died at some place they were staying and since bad things happen in three, I thought for certain we were next! I panicked and wrote this urgent letter pleading for help from one of my friends in the Grateful Dead organization, Dennis McNally, who I had known for years, was with the band. I went to the venue, talked to a few people who knew people I knew and they got the letter to McNally, but truthfully, what could I expect him to do? Have The Grateful Dead make an announcement to NOT come to our venue?


After the Grateful Dead show we featured a hippie band jam called “Ralph's Kind” and already had more than 500 paid guests but another 300 or so people showed up with no place to stay. We turned nobody away, even those with no money, like this one kid who literally gave me the t-shirt off his back, along with a gel cap of some very powerful LSD. Outside it was insane, both of our parking lots were full and we made a deal with our neighbors for the empty lot next to their build, so there were maybe another 150 people camping around The Split/Apple but coming in and out of it as the night progressed. 
After our hippie band friends in “Ralph’s Kind” played for almost four hours, before we drew the attention of Johnny Law because it was still a bit rowdy, I walked around to thank everyone in person as much as I could. I felt so happy, so pleased that this went off so well and more than anything I felt like, for one amazing time, I had the entire Deadhead community over to my house for a while!

On Sunday, we again sold a ton of passes, but our entertainment for the last night was a simple and mellow “Hippie Film Festival”. The Sunday show, the last Grateful Dead show that ever happened, but I wasn’t there, at the stadium. I heard it was a good show, but a lot of people just seemed really tired and burned out some, kind of like The Grateful Dead said one girl who came back afterward. We expected to host about 200 paid visitors at The Split/Apple over night, but more than half of them didn’t stay the night, everyone was hitting the road home early. We ended up with about 80 people who slept over, many of them leaving early in the morning and only a few staying around the rest of the day. One couple stayed for a few extra days, they were from Virginia and they were glass blowers who wanted to stay the week for The Pearl Jam shows the next week. They paid us $300 in cash and we agreed they could stay and for a few days it was cool. Then, one afternoon, while nobody was at The Split/Apple and these kids from Virginia had to suddenly split town, they busted down our front door because their glass and stuff was inside. Then they left, not even closing the doors, but luckily, nothing other than that happened. The front door was secured before the end of the day and we said good riddance with a bitter but somehow justified feeling. The weekend went exactly as I planned, we over the course of the weekend we hosted close to 1,000 Deadheads and made a profit close to $10k!


Naturally, because I had footed the bill to make the event happen and because I had invested close to $2,000 in materials and supplies, I made that back plus cleared another $5,000 which was owed to me but it still left The Split/Apple with the largest bank balance it ever had. Although Mark and his group offered to relocate from the premises, I allowed them to stay as long as they paid their rent and shut the fuck up about ANYTHING I wanted to do with the organization and venue. So be it, once the event was over and everybody had gone home, when the loft was reasonably clean and put back together again, late one afternoon, a Tuesday, 7/11, at some time just before sunset, Kelly and I wrote this cryptic note.  We said we were running away together and planning on starting our own cult. We left the note where everybody would see it, jumped into my little red convertible and hit the road heading west into the setting sun!


 
www.dphilipchalmers.net
This is an extended, expanded (unedited) excerpt from my book “My BiPolar Reality; How Life Goes On…” and I’ve decided to share it this week because of a few related topics I’ve been coming across with regards to next summer’s big “Fare Thee Well…” event in Chicago to “commemorate” the 20th anniversary of the last Grateful Dead show and “celebrate” the 50th anniversary of The Grateful Dead’s establishment and continual involvement in this counter culture community. I’ve been reading about the petition to get Mayor Rahm to allow camping in the parks, which would be groovy cool because Chicago has some amazingly beautiful parks, but it’s doubt that would happen. If the city were to allow it once, it would have to allow it again and that would be a nightmare for the Parks; perhaps in the parking lot, but again, there’s a huge liability for the city and again, if you let the hippies sleep there, the next thing is you’ll have the Cheeseheads sleeping there before a Green Bay game! That won’t happen. But ask anyone who knows me, they’ll tell you I’m far from the “Debby Downer” type, I’m the kind of person who doesn’t see problems very often, only multiple solutions. That’s what this article is about, multiple potential solutions to the same situation I once encountered 20 years ago, the last time The Grateful Dead played in Chicago.


Unfortunately, if you were to visit 1720 South Michigan Avenue today, there would be no three floor warehouse built in 1909, but instead a 20 story glass and steel condo building! They would not take kindly to us regrouping there for another “Deadheads on Parade”, I can assure you, that’s not an option. In further exploring the entire South Loop area where The Split/Apple was located, in fact, and you’d be hard pressed to find any sort of commercial space large enough, affordable and with the ability to accommodate me and about 1,000 hippie friends. This makes me think of two potential alternatives in terms of location to the venue; either the nearby Chinatown area or the massive McCormick place complex. 


Chinatown, which is roughly at 22nd  (Cermack) street and about 8-12 blocks further away than the original Split/Apple is not my first choice. There are some potentially usable, affordable and available spaces, the people are friendly (as long as you got money) and it’s not a bad walk to Soldier’s Field. Chinatown also better fits with our collective cultural history…I can think of one set of shows over Chinese New Year in ’87 that were particularly awesome (HJK, March 1-3)! Besides, the food is good, they’re open late and it’s a rather visually colorful neighborhood! However, there is some rough neighborhoods very close by, it’s easy to get lost from Chinatown to Soldier’s Field and the largest space we might find would still require a month’s rent and it’s not set up to host people, so there’d be a ton of “prep work” needed to get the “Deadheads On Parade” event set-up.



The other option is a bit more costly and may not even be possible because once again, it would involve working with the city to secure the venue, but in my humble opinion, it’s very much the best available solution. Built and opened in 1960, then burned to the ground in 1968 only to be resurrected to become the largest convention facility in the United States, McCormick Place is this huge convention center (four buildings with about a total of 6.5 million square feet) and it’s located right on the lake directly south of Soldier’s Field! Yes, literally, it shares a parking lot and is right across the way, less than a mile walk! 
The McCormick Place complex is massive, it bridges over Lake Shore Drive (LSD), it has great views of the sunrise, the city skyline and is relatively very safe because of the increased patrol and “private” access to the venue.

 The original part of this convention center complex is on the east side of LSD, The Lakeside Center and it is the closest building to the venue. There are three floors of this building, including the infamous “Arie Crown Theater” but only the top two floors are available, but they provide 580,000 square feet of space! There are many restrooms, a food court, an underground taxi/bus stop and it has a huge outdoor smoking area that’s easily accessible. 

Keep in mind, The Split/Apple was only about 5,000 square feet and we had about 800 people sleeping and staying there; a place like McCormick Place could house AT LEAST ten times that amount and probably more because The Split/Apple’s space was compromised by the stage, the freight elevator and office. If we were to secure The McCormick Place venue the opportunities are many for all, it’s a complete win-win situation for everyone involved.

So here’s the gist of my article and this little tale…I formally put forth the notion that instead of petitioning the city for outdoor camping in the city parks/parking lot, we rally together and pull our collective resources to secure this McCormick Place facility during the “Fare Thee Well” event. In fact I’ve already checked with McCormick Place and The Lakeside Building is indeed available during that entire July weekend! If we could come together to form a group that rents the hall and sets up the deal with the city; we enlist local Chicagoland Deadheads to help as volunteer hosts at The Lakeside Building, we couple perhaps entice a performer or two to play The Arie Crown Theater (maybe the other guys in Phish can enlist John Kadlecik) during the weekend as well, we create the whole experience as both a final tribute to our own community as well as donate ALL THE PROFITS to perhaps The Rex Foundation (The Grateful Dead’s non-profit organization) or another local (Chicago-based) organization (could be helpful in getting the deal for the space), we could re-create the entire “Deadheads On Parade” event in a way that would rival the main event itself!

So, that’s the “Big Picture” version of this vision, I can elaborate in greater detail if anyone is truly interested in trying to make this happen, but before I start sharing all my knowledge and putting my energies into making this happen, if it were to happen at all, I need you all to understand this: I don’t bother thinking or planning anything that I won’t see to it’s completion. I can’t, I’m too old to waste time dreaming and I’m much happier when I’m doing, so if this is going to happen, I need help in first forming a “core mastermind group” of people to start the movement, then we’ll need massive help from the entire community (including Grateful Dead Productions, The City of Chicago Parks & Recs Department and maybe even a cool corporate sponsor) and then, after promoting the event and selling advance tickets, we’ll need a small army of volunteers to help operate the multi-day, perpetual event. I do know people who can help in some of the organizations we’ll need support from but I know if we pull together quickly, I can easily draft a formal proposal and since I live in the San Francisco vicinity, I could easily get this idea to people a GD Productions. Furthermore, I still have strong ties in Chicago, I have people there who help do some of the basic foot work and I know a lot of you guys too (Deadhead around the world), so I’ll gladly step into the leadership role if you’d like, even though I have no plans presently to go back to Chicago next summer. I just moved from there last summer and as much as I love my Second City, it’s still my 2nd choice for life and I’ve moved to my 1st choice now, I’m back home in California. But I’d go back there if I’m needed, making this happen could be something worthwhile for me and my family to do next summer because otherwise, I truly have NO INTEREST at all being at “the shows”.

Okay, well at the risk of both running out of time and blowing my whole wad in one blog article, here’s what I suggest we do next; Spread The Word! Talk this issue up among your friends both on and off line, post and re-share this article as well as perhaps create your own article about the issue. I’m going to create & propagate the hashtag #splitapple2015 and run this up the proverbial flag pole for the next couple of weeks to gauge what kind of interest there might be in creating this event. I can see it, I KNOW it can be done but as much I know and understand that I cannot do it by myself. In fact, I wouldn’t want to do it alone because as an artist, for me, most of the fun in creating things is done with others and this is no different. If this is going to happen, after we see how it flies over the next couple of weeks, we’re going to need to jump into action pretty quickly. Like everyone, I have a life too which is all about promoting this book these days but I can find some time to put this together if I have some others to work with and share the tasks. Coincidentally, as it happens, I’ll have space in my schedule during the entire month of July (because my wife & I are celebrating our 20th anniversary on July 16th)! That’s what I have to say about this matter, I hope you all consider it seriously because it could truly work for everyone involved (even the city), so spread the word: #splitapple2015


Thanks for reading and have a groovy good week!
#splitapple2015
#gratefuldead50
#faretheewell