26 January 2015

How Ernie Banks Made Me a Diehard Cubs Fan

Ernie Banks, 1969 Chicago Cubs

It was almost a customary practice when I was a child for my younger brother and I to spend a lot of time during the summers in Chicago staying with either my mother’s family in Logan Square or my father’s family up in Roger’s Park. We did this because every year between 1963 and 1971, we moved from town to town as my father climbed the corporate ladder in the food services industry. It was sort of like being an army brat I might imagine, but very different too because we weren’t limited to living to on any particular base. However, each year during the summer we’d go to stay with one or both of the grandparents while mom and dad were off in some city somewhere picking out a house and setting up our next residence.





Grandpa Duke's neighborhood, 1969

In the summer of 1969 we stayed with my mother’s dad a lot, Grandpa Duke because he was alone as well as all four of our cousins often came around. It was a typical Chicago summer, a hot and long steamy affair and Grandpa Duke’s old house on Western Avenue had no air conditioning. In the front room was a brand new big counsel style color television...state of the art! Behind that new TV was a bay window with big fans which constantly blew in the fresh Chicago air of bus fumes, sticky humidity and traffic screeching or siren sounds. I liked staying by Grandpa Duke because when we would go out and about in the neighborhood, there were a lot of cool places a short distance away. One of my favorite neighborhood places was this old fashioned hardware store around the corner on Fullerton because it had wood slat floors, very tall walls, high ceilings where supplies were stocked and served by tall ladders that rolled and the store had a very unique aroma of fresh lumber, machine oil and of being very old. It was very old. A few blocks down Fullerton was a bowling alley where Grandpa Duke was a neighborhood champ and I loved that place too, it was an old style bowling alley with these guys who stood the pins up and rolled your ball back to you. There was a sprinkler in a park, a jungle gym and cork screw slide too but the best thing about that neighborhood was right behind Grandpa Duke’s house there were a bunch of kids always playing! In California, for much of my life, we always moved so I didn't have the chance to play with a lot of kids, except at school, I never socialized with other kids but in the summer of 1969, I was about 8 years old and being in Chicago was a pretty good place to be a kid that year.





Baseball, the watching of baseball, on both sides of my family has long been a tradition. It's the social sport steeped in our collective American experience and tattooed upon our turpitude, it’s a family experience that I hold dear and sweet in my heart and I've share with all my soul to my children. I learned this during the summer of 1969, while staying at Grandpa Duke’s house and making friends with some of the neighborhood kids. These kids, there were maybe about ten of them but I can only remember a few of their names, they were “city kids”, some of them had darker skin than me, some of them had lighter skin than me and all of them seemed to think I was pretty cool because I said I was from California and I had long hair, “Like one of them hippies!” snapped Ritchie, this kid who was very dark but had a bright and cheerful smile and kind eyes, “You be looking like a surfer, you a surfer?”
               “Nope…” I smiled, I noticed their baseball bats, mitts and caps, I smiled, “I like baseball.”
               “What team?” asked a bigger kid, he was very blond and light skinned. He had some kind of accent I had never heard before, “Who’s you’re team?”
               “I’m from San Francisco, but…”
               “The Giants?” the big blond kid interrupted me, “Really?”
               “The Cubs are my favorite team…” I finished, “It’s what both my grandpa’s watch…The Cubs.”
               “Ever been to a game?” asked a girl with long red hair and a cute smile. She was maybe 10 years old, most certainly a girl but not a prissy girl, she was cool, “I mean, like a real game?”
               “Not yet.” I added, “I want to go, maybe this summer.”
               “You should…” nodded the girl and she introduced herself, “I’m Angie…this is my kid brother Artie.”
               “Hello…” I was about to introduce myself when a couple of others interrupted, “My name is…”
               “I’m Max.” said the big blond kid, “I move from Germany.”
               “I’m Fern and you know Ritchie…” the oldest kid stepped forward, the alpha male, the guy in charge with slick black hair, tight jeans and a leather Cubs jacket. Fern was silent, he didn’t say anything until now, “We’re planning a trip to Wrigley, all us kids, want to go?”
               “Wrigley?” I knew that was the ballpark, I was born around the corner from the iconic stadium, I asked, “When are you going?”
               “The 24th, a Thursday…” Angie answered and smiled, “not this week, but the next week.”
               “How old are you kid?” Fern stood next to me, my head barely reached his shoulders. I lied, “I’m 10…well, almost 10…” I was only 7 going on 8 years old, “How much is it to go?”
               “You 10 years old?” Ritchie laughed, “Really? Damn, you so little!”
               “My little brother is even littler!” I smiled, then bravely added, “Yeah, I’m in, I’ll go for sure!”


The week went by quickly and every day I played baseball with those kids in the nearby park. I was often the catcher, I liked that position because I could see the entire game and felt like I was a part of every play. The kids all gathered sometime just before lunch and we’d stay there playing multiple games until dinner. I was happy, it was the first time in a very long while I had other kids to play with and I felt so much a part of being a team member when we played. In California we lived in the heart of San Francisco, during the late 1960’s, in the neighborhood we lived, it was over flowing with hippies and a lot of people my mother never trusted. At the school in California I was placed in a class for gifted children along with two other children. One of them, an Asian boy named Li, barely spoke English and the girl in the class didn’t like me because I wore strange clothes and had long hair. I felt alone, with only my little brother but he is three years younger than me, so it was limiting. Yet in the summer of ’69, I felt like I made some friends for the first time. During the days leading up to that Thursday, I asked my Grandpa Duke if I could go along with these other kids, these new friends of mine. I didn’t tell him it was just a bunch of kids, but he didn’t ask if there were parents either, he just laughed and said yes before handing me a $20 bill (a lot of money to a kid in 1969)!




CTA Buses in 1969 Chicago


Thursday came, we all gathered earlier than we typically did, we agreed to meet at the diner on the corner of Fullerton and Western about 10:00 that morning. This was so exciting for me, it was my first big adventure, going with a bunch of new friends from Logan Square to Wrigley Field without any parents, just us kids! Once everyone arrived, there were nine of us, the same as the number of players on the field, we got on the Western Avenue bus and rode it north about 8 blocks where we transferred buses onto the Addison Street bus which we rode east all the way to the ballpark. The game wasn’t until 3 in the afternoon and we had arrived before noon so we walked around the neighborhood. I didn’t have a clue of where we were but it didn’t matter because all the other kids seemed so confident. Fern, Ritchie and Max found an old cemetery up the street so we went exploring inside the creepy gates. It was a perfect summer day, bright sunshine, a balmy breeze from the lake and that old diesel bus smell, ah, Chicago’s freshest air! It was sometime around 1pm when Angie suggested we get back to the ballpark because we didn’t have tickets and the box office should be open by now. We scattered from the creepy old cemetery and practically ran down Sheffield Avenue towards the bleachers of Wrigley Field.





Wrigley Field, miles away for a kid!


As we strolled the tree lined residential street and I could catch a glimpse of that back of the bleachers giant Cubs sign, my heart was racing. We got to the gate but when I pulled out my $20 bill, Angie and her brother Artie screamed, “This kid is loaded!” and “Holy Cow!”, it was like they never imagined a kid would have such a huge bill. They all had coins and a few crumpled dollar bills and I had this crisp twenty dollar bill and because bleacher seats were only .75 cents each, I offered to buy everyone’s ticket! I was an instant hero, they loved me and I was part of the group. We sat in the left field, as close to the wall as we could get, next to a group of older, slightly drunk middle aged businessmen, next to some old guy named Larry. All the other kids all knew Larry, they've seen him at every game, “Larry is a baseball genius!” Angie explained to me as we scooted down the long bench seats almost next to the wall, “He’s a good guy, he looks out for us.”
               “Cool…” I smiled and looked across the beautiful field. It was still an hour until ball time, but everything was so perfect, nobody seemed to mind. Angie’s thigh pressed against mine and it made me feel safe, remember I was not even 8 years old yet, so this was a really big adventure for me. The time passed quickly and before long the Cub ball players took the field to stretch and toss the ball around. It was awesome, Angie described every player to me, she knew them all. She asked me about the other team, it was the L.A. Dodgers but I shrugged, “I only know Don Drysdale, number 53, he’s a pitcher.”
“Duh! Drysdale is awesome!” Then she pointed to one skinny ball player, a black guy with a big smile and the number 14, he was standing near the seats along third base and signing autographs, shaking hands and laughing, “That’s Ernie Banks!”
               “Duh, I know Ernie Banks!” I laughed and then pointed to the player wearing number 10, “That’s Santo…on the mound, it’s Holtzman…a leftie by the way!”
               “The little boy knows his team!” the old guy named Larry chuckled, “Fern tells me you’re from California? You from L.A.?”
               “Not really…” I smiled and suddenly felt shy, “We lived there for a few months in 1968, but mostly from San Francisco…but I was born in Chicago, I like The Cubs.”
               “The Cubs are good this year…” Larry nodded, “So are them Dodgers, this’ll be a good game!”



 
We sat in the Bleachers, right along the very back walls
It was too, it was a great game. The Cubs won, 5 to 3 and after the game, as we all rode the buses home, I thought about what a grand adventure this was and how very much I wanted to do it again. I was still sitting next to Angie but Fern was sitting in front of me so I asked him, “How often do you guys go to the game? I mean, are you going to go again soon?”
               “We go when we can.” Fern smiled and chuckled, “You want to buy us another game?”
               “Well, in a couple weeks, I was thinking…” I was going to mention the game between San Francisco and Chicago, that would be a fun game but Angie interrupted, “I’d like to go…”
               “Leave him alone Fern!” Angie slapped Fern’s arm, “He’s spent half his money, right kid?”
               “I guess…”
               “I was only jiving him!” Fern laughed and turned back around. Angie patted my arm and I was going to speak up when the bus came to our stop. Fern stood first, “Let’s go play ball!”
               “I have to go home.” I said, but added, “Maybe I can come back out?”
               “I’ll walk you home.” Angie took my hand as we stepped off the bus, “Which one is your grandpa’s house?”
               “His address is 2422 North Western Avenue…” I said as we walked north from the corner of Fullerton, Angie held my hand like a babysitter, “Third one after the alley.”
               “You’re a smart little kid, aren’t you?” she laughed as we walked up the steps and I opened the front door and walked in. Angie followed me, “Can I use the bathroom?”
               “Yes, in here…” I walked into the kitchen and along the way opened the bathroom door for Angie, “Grandpa Duke? Uncle Bob?” there was nobody in the kitchen so I kept walking out the back door and into the stairwell. I heard laughter in the backyard and called out the window, “I’m home!”
               “There you are!” it was my gypsy aunt Rose and her kid friendly husband Uncle Casey. They evidently stopped over unexpectedly for dinner and they were playing with my little brother while Grandpa was grilling food. Aunt Rose called me out, “Come down here, where have you been all day?”
               “I went to see the Cubs win!” I smiled as I walked out back, “It was fun!”
               “Did you go by yourself?!?” my aunt sounded shocked, “Duke, how could you?”
               “Hello everyone!” Angie came out the back door with perfect timing, “I’m Angie Warshakowsky, I live around the corner, on Campbell…I just wanted to say thanks for letting d’Philip tag along with us today, it was a lot of fun and he was really well behaved.”
               “Can I go play ball with them at the park now?” I asked Grandpa Duke because I knew my aunt wanted me to stay home, “Please? I’m only going to be here a few more weeks…please?”
               “No, I think it’s late…too late.” Aunt Rose shook her head and lifted my brother off his feet as she started walking towards the back door, “Besides, we’re here, the answer is no!”
               “Please, Grandpa?” I looked up at my Grandpa Duke, he was a big man. He used to be a boxer, when he first came to America, he made cash by boxing then he became a security cop for Sears & Roebuck. Now he was retired, chomping on a smoldering stubby cigar while flipping fat burgers in the setting sunlight, he looked down at me with a grin, “Angie will look out for me, please?”
               “Screw the gypsy…” Grandpa Duke grunted, his Armenian accent thick, “Go out the back gate.”
               “Thanks Grandpa!” I turned to Angie with excitement, “Let’s go!”




The rest of the remaining weeks that summer went by quickly but my team of friends and I did make it back to Wrigley Field several more times…we didn’t always go into the ballpark, sometimes we just hung out on Sheffield or Waveland and waited for balls to fly over the ivy clad brick walls. We roared and cheered when we heard the game, we jumped and screamed when we would see the games. It was life, it was fun, it was love, it wasn’t about if The Cubs won or not, it was only about the game and the adventures we made. The last time we went to a game, we got there really early and it was slightly drizzling outside so we were huddled together against a wall near the back doors of the stadium.





In his prime, 1969...
Angie, Fern, Max and me were there, just shivering and trying to stay dry when a man walked past us…he was moving quickly and we hardly noticed him until he stopped, turned to us and said, “Hey you kids, don’t catch a cold out there!” and it was Ernie Banks! Indeed, he was going in for the game and we just happened to be there, us four kids sopping wet while waiting for our favorite ball team to play. It was Ernie Banks himself, he smiled and glanced at the sky, “I think I see sunshine coming!” then he winked, opened the door and as he stepped inside, “Enjoy the game kids, it’s important to have fun!”
               “OMIGAWD!” Angie shrieked and I think I heard Fern scream too, “ERNIE BANKS!”




               “Wow, that was…wow!” and it was at that exact moment, before the game even started, I knew I would be a diehard Cubs fan for the rest of my life. It was sealed, no matter what, Ernie Banks had spoke to me and my friends and told us it was important to have fun! If you’re a Cubs fan, you’ll agree, that’s typically you can ever hope for in given Cubs season. That game, that last game I ever went to with my friends, The Cubs beat The Giants and after that day, within a week, I was saying goodbye to my baseball team of new friends. We spoke of seeing one another the next summer, our family was moving to Cincinnati, Ohio but we always came back during the summer. Except we didn’t, we never went back because the next year our parents divorced and mom relocated us to a Chicago suburb. I did see Angie again, a number of years later when I was 14 and visiting my Grandpa Duke. She was pushing a stroller past the park where we used to play ball. She told me that Fern went to Veitnam but he didn’t come back. Ritchie moved to Florida but big Max was still around, he lived with his parents and was in college. Angie’s little brother Artie was doing okay, their parents also divorced and Artie moved to California with the mom. Angie was married, she had a baby, she still lived in the neighborhood with her husband’s family. We laughed about that summer of ’69, that summer when even The Cubs came close to getting there and how we did somehow seem to get there too. I’ll never forget that summer, even when The Cubs continue to come close (most recently, in ’08)…I became a diehard fan because of that rainy misty morning we ran into Mr. Cubs himself, Rest In Peace, Ernie Banks.


Although this week’s blog article has absolutely NOTHING to do with my book, “My BiPolar Reality; How Life Goes On…”, I wanted to write about Ernie Banks and express something that is very much a part of me; being a diehard Chicago Cubs fan. I love this team, the losers of baseball with the most optimistic fans in the world. I am part of that den, that clan, those people and perhaps that might tell you a little about the kind of person I am; devotion is something I understand. Disappointment and heartbreak too, but I love the art and science of baseball and despite their dismal history, The Chicago Cubs will always be my team!




This week I have the rare opportunity to be working from the abode most of the week, no public appearances or silly business meetings to attend. I am going to spend a lot of time on-line, I sort of feel the need this week and I have the feeling that somebody might be looking for me too, I’m not sure…so I’m here, just in case, dig? I am going to post an excerpt from the book next week, one that is a true story about the very last concerts The Grateful Dead ever played in 1995…then I might day dream out loud a little and think about hosting a similar event next July in Chicago. But that’s next week…again, I am so very Grateful for the support and sales of the book; I never would have imagined selling this many copies before the end of January! Thank you, thank you, thank you!




dphilipchalmers.net


Presently it’s nearing dinner time and I think we’re going to make it an early evening tonight, I want to make the most of all my home time this week, I have a shit-ton of stuff to write! I did post a new video, incidentally, if you’re curious, please visit my youtube channel…otherwise, as always, please do take good care and be well!

Peace,
d’Philip
26 January 2015