09 February 2015

#splitapple2015…DOA?


Last week I posted an article called “Deadheads On Parade” which was an expanded excerpt from my book “MyBiPolar Reality; How Life Goes On…” but, at the end of the article, I put forth this proposal for a really groovy alternative to high priced downtown hotels or the pipe dream of getting the city of Chicago to allow camping in the parks or parking lots and I called it “Split/Apple 2015 Deadheads On Parade”. I tried to propagate the story/idea/concept with the hashtag “#splitapple2015”, but all I got was a ton of hits on my blog (which is cool, but…), nobody really started a dialogue about putting something like this idea in motion. Perhaps, I think, I didn’t make clear enough or I might have “buried” the idea with the opening excerpt from the book, so before I let it go and the idea becomes nothing more than another one of my great whims, I’m going to explain this concept one more time, dig?

Given that Chicago and Soldier’s Field (the venue) are the 3rd largest city in America, there is not a campsite within 50 miles of the city and the hotels downtown near the venue start at the $300/night range (and limited to four people per room), this is indisputable, agreed? Okay, directly across the parking lot to the south of Soldier’s Field, there is the world’s largest convention center, it’s called McCormick Place and although it’s quadrupled in size and has a hotel attached to it since it was first built in 1960, the original part of McCormick place, on the east side of Lake Shore Drive (LSD), is the part of the building across the parking lot, less than a ½ mile from the stage, it’s right next to Lake Michigan and houses the renown “Arie Crown Theater”. 

The Lakeside Center (r) and LSD just south of venue...
This building, The Lakeside Center, has two available levels, providing 580,000 square feet together and both levels have rest rooms, food courts and other amenities. Back in the day, the last time The Grateful Dead played Chicago, we hosted about 600 people a night in a space of about 6,000 square feet. According to my basic research, the average square footage of a hotel room is roughly about 400 square feet. This means the two levels of The Lakeside Center at McCormick Place is equal to about 1,450 hotel rooms worth of space. If we limited the space to one person per 100 square feet, we could comfortable host almost 6,000 people at this venue. Being hippies and all, however, we can live even more cozy than most, so there is maybe space for about 2,000 other people, that’s 8,000 deadhead living, sleeping, dreaming and enjoying this one last Fare Thee Well experience together!
The Venue...south is parking lot...the Lakeside Center!


Okay, d’Philip, you might be wondering, this really sounds cool, but how the fuck can you make it happen and if you do, how fucking much is going to cost each of us, right? Truth is, I am waiting for the McCormick Place management to get back to me with an exact amount, but based on inquiries I’ve made to some Chicago based event planners, the typical cost at McCormick Place’s Lakeside Center is between $1.30 to $1.90 per square foot, let me do the math and that works out to about $50/person if we sell 6,000 tickets for each night; so, even if we needed to jack up the cost of the pass to $75/person per night, or offer a three day pass for $175, it’s a very fair and reasonable price for a place to stay, especially in a world class city like Chicago, during Independence Day weekend and The Grateful Dead’s “Fare Thee Well” shows across the parking lot, hell yeah, man, I’d say that fucking great deal, wouldn’t you? 
JGB played this venue in 1983...
As well, if we have access to The Arie Crown Theater, a venue that seats about 4,200 people, we could offer an “alternative show” for those who did not have tickets for “The Big Show” (you know there will be a shit ton of hippies without tickets but going for the miracle anyway) ((I know I would, if I haven’t already done it dozens of times before))! The entire operation would function as a “non-profit” event and any profit made by the organization after the event should be donated to a mutually agreed upon charitable group (I’m thinking the homeless), because like back in the day when we used trade boot/tapes, we are not trying to make a profit, just a difference.




This vintage shot shows the proximity
of the venue to McCormick Place
That’s one hell of a “Deadheads On Parade” if ever I could imagine one, certainly an event that is worthy of this endeavor and I firmly believe (I KNOW) that if we really want this to happen, it will! I am very confident in my abilities to pull together many of the elements we’ll need to make this happen, but I CANNOT DO THIS ALONE and, in fact, unless... 
YOU PEOPLE WHO PLAN ON GOING TO CHICAGO, if you have tickets or not, we have to work together to make this reality legendary. I have experience doing this, The Split/Apple was the perfect laboratory for this kind of event, but one thing I learned very well was that no matter how hard I worked at it, it could not and would not ever have worked without the help of many other people. 

This is the way it’s always been in The Grateful Dead community, for those of you who are either too young to have been there or you who have been there and done that, when we traveled across the country following the band, we took care of each other. The band did their thing, they focused on making the show happen, making it special, pulling us together in the same place at the same time…strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hands, right? But it was each of us, strangers among friends, we would take care of ourselves and each other. That’s one of the elements that contributed to the Grateful Dead community, one of the essential elements to foster in future generations. The Grateful Dead always came through to provide the shows, but it was on us to come through with where to stay, how to get there, what happens if you need help and so forth. Jerry or Bobby didn’t help us secure safe places to crash, although it would’ve been groovy cool, it was always because some kind, kindred souls helped us along, helped you, helped me, helped each other along. It has ALWAYS BEEN the helpful friendly person, the one on the side of the road who gives a hand to the traveling soul…The Grateful Dead man!



So don’t look to The Grateful Dead, The City of Chicago or anyone else to help us out with making this event work entirely in our favor…it’s on us, people, this is OUR COLLECTIVE RESPONSIBILITY to find a way for everyone to have a safe place to stay, at a reasonable rate, close to the venue and with the ability to create memories together in a most unique and special way. So that’s it, my friends, that’s my overall sales pitch…sorry I’m not the marketing dude I once was, but then again, that’s a pretty good thing. I do know Chicago very well. I was born there, I made something of a mark (more like a stain) on that city and I know The Grateful Dead experience, I’ve been living it for over 40 years. I have the ability and willingness to devote some time and effort to put together a very formal, professional proposal for “The Split/Apple 2015 Deadheads on Parade” event. I will not do anything, however, until I feel reasonably certain I CAN GET HELP FROM ALL OF YOU and to demonstrate this to me, I NEED YOU GUYS TO START TALKING ABOUT IT! Last week, when I first put forth this idea, I got a ton of “1+” and every time I or somebody else re-posted the article, there was a lot of approval but nobody was saying very much…SPEAK UP AND BE HEARD NOW or forever hold your peace and best wishes for finding accommodations in Chicago, dig?

This is the last time I’m flying this flag, I hope the right people see it and take the intrepid steps to move forward on this…what are the next steps? 

Here’s my short list:

  •         SPREAD THE WORD! We need to gauge an interest in this idea and if we can get 1,000 people on-line to be into the idea, if we build it, they will come. There is a limited time frame in place, so we need to get about 1,000 hippies to “sign-up” for the idea before March 1st and the best way to do this accurately, as well as build a “core database”, is to have an on-line petition that requires the participant to include an e-mail address. To create THE PETITION, I am pleading for ONE PERSON to step and get it done, please!

  •         THE MASTERMIND GROUP- Presuming we get the 1,000 people and it’s decided we’re moving forward on March 1st, we need to organize a develop a MASTERMIND GROUP to function in a (mostly) volunteer capacity to start planning, gathering funding and other resources, market and sell tickets, build and lead a ground team to get the facility prepped, as well as other key functions. The best management structure is a committee led by a group of five, each with a particular role (President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary, Sergeant at Arms) and could include as many as 10 others in supporting roles. I prefer “majority rules” over “unanimous decisions” when it comes to key decision, but I’m not in charge so I can dig anything that works in getting the circus happening!

  •  ·        THE DEVELOPMENT PROCESS – once the group has come together to establish itself the next step is to formulate a significant and viable plan. This is difficult with people spread across time zones, but it’s possible with the aid of technology. Working with on-line collaborative tools, we create the plan and start the process of funding the project. We first appeal to our core database, those 1,000 hippies who said yes and politely ask them to pony up some cash for us via a crowd funding process. This seed money is used to attract larger investors, perhaps The Grateful Dead, WXRT (Chicago’s Finest Rock Station and very long time friends to The Dead), a camping goods company, some kind of “hippie friendly” organization with some deep pockets to help us secure the space, promote the event and have exclusive access to our 6,000 closest friends!

Okay, well I’ve already said and done more than I intended, but I wanted to put forth as much as I can into this idea because, like I mentioned, this the last time I’m going to fly this flag and see if we can pull it together…IT’S ALL ON YOU GUYS NOW, if you want it, you can have it, you just have to take it and that’s not easy for a lot of people to do, I understand. It seems unreal, but I am learning to make my dreams into a reality, I’ve been doing it all my life and I would happy to show you how we can make this too a very real event that NOBODY WILL EVER FORGET
The infamous "Open Canvass Wall", 7/6/95

Everybody had a swell time!
Ask anyone who remembers The Split/Apple…and if you don’t know anyone, ask somebody else, what they think of this plan. They’ll say it sounds kind of crazy, but very cool. If you would kindly just keep re-sharing this post all week, I’ve spent several hours over two days writing it, gathering information, checking my facts and finding some images to help you best visualize this “Deadheads OnParade” event…if you could please take a moment to click re-share, add you thoughts and share it within your circles, on twitter, facebook, wherever you know people who are thinking/talking about going to Chicago this summer…otherwise, I hope everyone has groovy good week! We have an out of town guest visiting this week and we’re planning another scouting trip to the mountains to look for a new abode, so I’ll be rather busy. I am most Grateful for your time and attention, two of life’s most valuable commodities, thank you for reading me and stay in touch, be well and take care of each other!

UPDATE: Here's the link to sign the petition!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/splitapple2015


Peace & Love,

d’Philip
09 February 2015

San Joaquin Valley, Republic of California