16 February 2015

Visions of Lennon, The Split/Apple Seed & BiPolar Disorder


Waukegan, Illinois
Downtown Waukegan at midnight on a chilly October night is not a nice place to find one’s self but that’s where I was when I started walking from the government buildings up a hill towards a gas station. The station was closed but the pay phone worked so I made a collect call to Susan, to ask her to come get me. I gave her the address of the gas station and tried to explain how to get there from our house in Libertyville, but when an hour and a half had passed and she was still not there, I called back again. Surprised when Susan answered I snapped at her, “Where the fuck are you?”
“Don’t talk to me like that!” she snapped back, “I called my father, he will pick you up soon…he’s not there yet?”
“No…” but no sooner had I said that when a shining Mercedes pulled into the parking lot and I could see her father’s angry, stiff face. I apologized, “I’m sorry, he’s here now.”
“Okay, I’ll see you in the morning.” She spoke softly, but firmly, “I’ll leave the back door unlocked, okay?”
“You’re going to bed?” I wanted to tell her about what happened, I needed to unload and I started to freak out, “What the hell?”
“I have to work in the morning.” She snapped. Her voice sounded as cold as the harsh October winds that late night, “If you want to talk to me, see me in the morning. Good night, don’t keep my father waiting for you!”
“Ok, fine…” I glanced at her dad, “Good night.”

The next morning, after a few restless hours in my bed in the basement, I had a short and curt conversation with Susan about the whole ordeal. She was in a rush to get going to work and running late. I was running on a few measly hours of sleep fueled by this incredible sense of raw anger, indignation, and outrage. It was not good chemistry for a conversation and it exploded into a raging argument as she walked out the door and went off to work. Her sister was home, she was upstairs playing with Cassidy and heard the entire argument. Once Susan was long gone, after I returned to my basement dungeon bedroom, Michelle came down and see me; she was trying to make peace for her sister but I was very agitated. I snapped on Michelle, I yelled, cursed and blamed her as being the reason Susan and I were involved in marriage counseling. I stormed out of the house, got in my little red pick-up, and drove off on a long ride to nowhere. I had no direction, no destination, a credit card or two and felt really pissed off about everything, my life sucked. I was unhappy, I could not find Valerie, I had yet to make any kind of mark on the world. This was not where I imagined my life would be, once again, I was a stranger in my own home, lost in the world, feeling deflated and at the end of another fucking rope! I was just a loser working at a gas station at 32 years old...some fucking child prodigy with a gift for creativity, I was just a useless piece of shit!

 
Does couples therapy ever work?
A few days later, at our couples therapy session, the focus of the dialogue shifted from what was maybe wrong with us as a couple to what exactly is the problem with d’Philip and what should be done about correcting his behavior? We saw this one pair of therapist, a man and woman team and it they suggested that I might have bipolar disorder. I never heard of this ailment but when they explained some of the symptoms and indicated it had previously been diagnosed as manic depression, I started to understand the matter. I wasn’t so sure, however, I agreed with this suggestion and though I might have been willing to get checked out for this disorder, we never got that far with this therapeutic team. We switched to a different therapist, one who focused on women’s issues. I didn’t like her, I didn’t trust her and though I would follow along for a while, by my next birthday in December, my 32nd birthday, I could see the writing clearly on the wall for our relationship. After the holidays, when the first of the new year of 1994 had started to spring, one night when Susan and I just got home from our weekly marriage counseling session, out of the blue, I simply asked her, “What if I am bipolar?”
“What?” she put her purse and briefcase on the floor next to the sofa and sat down, flipped on the television and shook her head, “What are you talking about?”
“What if I am bipolar, like those therapists suggested?” I stood between her and the television and with my hands on my hips, I simply asked, “I mean, I’ve been thinking about that and reading up on it and it’s really all about an imbalance of brain chemicals. Maybe I should be tested or something?”
“No, no way, I don’t buy that diagnosis!” she snapped and lit a cigarette, “That’s just a cop out, really, you’re not bipolar!”
“How do you know?” I asked, “What if I am?” 
“That’s just a bullshit thing, it’s not even a real disorder.” She took a stiff puff from her cigarette, the burning cherry ember glowed with anger, “You don’t want to be bipolar, trust me, it’s a really fucked up thing.”
“I don't want to be bipolar?” I huffed, “As if I had a choice?” I shook my head, took a seat next to my wife, “I’m just asking, Susan…” I pressed for a direct answer, “What if, like maybe I am, what if I do have some kind of chemical imbalance, what if I am bipolar?”
“Well, if you were bipolar…” she took another quick drag from her cigarette and then, like she was spitting out the words, “I could not be married to you anymore.”
“What?” I was shocked, my jaw dropped, I again asked, “If I was bipolar you couldn’t stay married to me? What the fuck?”
“I couldn’t trust you, I mean, I have to protect Cassidy.” She waved her smoky hand and continued, “What if you didn’t take those meds? What if you snapped or something? No, if you are bipolar, I couldn’t stay with you, it’s just not safe.”
“That’s fucked up!” I knew at that very moment it was the exact end of our marriage, “What about in sickness or health? I mean, would you leave me if I was diabetic or if I had a heart condition? Fuck, that’s goddamn cold ass shit!”
“That’s different, d’Philip…” she stood up and started walking towards the stairs, “You know it, if you were that sick, so sick you were bipolar or something, that’s dangerous, that’s all I’m saying! Think about it, do you really want to be bipolar?”
“As if I would have a choice!” I yelled as she started up the stairs, like she often did, just walking away from the situation, “Thanks Susan, that’s real love…fuck this!”
“Talk to me in the morning, when you’re not so angry.” She called down and then, before shutting the bedroom door, “Good night!”
“Good fucking bye!” I muttered to myself and then headed down to the basement in a frenzied and blind moment of anger. I gathered my basic clothing and stuffed them into my large duffel bag. I packed up my equipment, put most of my stuff in various boxes and labeled them. I dragged the futon off the frame and brought it out the back door and into the back of my pickup truck. I went back inside and grabbed my duffel bag, my pillow and blanket, my briefcase and notebooks, my essential photos and a few of my minor camping things. I loaded and packed them into my truck and then went back inside one final time. I went upstairs and into Cassidy’s room, he was sleeping in a curled up position, his head upon a pillow so peacefully. I brushed back his soft blond hair and kissed him gently on the cheek, whispering, “I Love You my Golden Boy, I Love You so very much, I’m really sorry about this, but I hope one day you’ll know and understand…I Love You!”

This was like my truck...
I got in the little cherry red Chevy pick-up truck and headed west out of town, my eyes barely able to see through the tear stained thoughts of leaving my sweet little child…again. The night was dark and felt empty, just a tattered old black-top ribbon stretching on for endless miles, nothing but wide open farmlands on either side of the road. There was no moon but thousands of stars without anything to say. Passing through a small farm towns, imagining a different life for myself, a life in some small forgotten rural town. I could be somebody else, I could be left alone, I could be living in the fresh country air; then I drove past a pig stall of sleeping hogs and it smelled to high heaven! I cranked my Grateful Dead bootleg and chain smoked myself through the miles, gripping the wheel tightly, holding on for dear life. I kept driving until at some point in the wee hours, the road ended along The Mississippi River. I turned south and down the road a little way until I found a small dirt pull off and followed it to the end, a little dirt parking lot with a fishing pier on the river. I climbed in the bed of the truck and pulled the blankets over me, it was sometime just before the sky was dawning with a new sun, I cried myself quickly to sleep.


I love all the images of John in this piece!
 A few hours later, perhaps 6 or so, I woke up from an intense dream. John Lennon came to me to talk about something called “The Split/Apple” and how I needed to “share the knowledge, share the sin.” I don’t know we where we actually anyplace, it was in a nowhere space, an ethereal environment where I could see him, it was John, the Lennon I always knew and he was talking to me like we’d known each other forever. In the very real feeling dream, I thought about incredible it was to converse with Lennon, yet I also had this level of comfort, like I too have known him all these years too. Lennon continued a dialogue, I was listening closely, but truthfully I don’t have a clue about what we were really talking about, it was all just words flowing endlessly, like in the song, across the universe of time and space, real and unreal, dream and awake. The only thing I remember, the only clear words were John Lennon telling me to “share the knowledge, share the sin” and something called “The Split/Apple”. It was one of those dreams so real that when I realized I was still parked along the river, not floating on a cloud with Lennon, I again started crying. I sat up to compose myself, pulled out my journal and scribbled these notes, when I went to write the words of “split” and “apple”, it just flowed from my pen as “The Split/Apple” and I got this feeling I got something right somehow.



Eventually two good old boys in a bigger pick-up truck, with fishing poles, pulled into the lot next to me. Time had slipped away, it was later in the morning, it warmer and there was more traffic passing by on the road up the little hill. I packed up me bedding, rolled the windows down, started the truck and popped in a John Lennon CD. I was still tired, but truthfully, I was broken apart, sad and feeling my soul crushed. My heart pushed tears from my eyes without any control, it took me a while to get it myself together. Once I did, however, I wiped my face then simply left, like my marriage to Susan, I never went to that place again.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

               This excerpt is from “My BiPolar Reality; How Life Goes On…”, it’s the end of Chapter 2, “Without Love In The Dream” and it’s very exact origin of the idea and term of The Split/Apple. I promised my publishing partners I would share some of the book and refocus on promoting the book and my mental health awareness agenda. It seems the past few weeks, while I’ve been toying with the idea of “#splitapple2015” and the potentials of a Merry Prankster style circus of The Grateful Dead’s “Fare Thee Well” event in Chicago next July…I’ve been neglecting my obligations of promoting my work, as stipulated in both the legal agreements and by my very words. To me, my word is far more significant than the contractual obligations. Contracts are paper and words, make believe and can be broken, misconstrued and abused. But my word is always my word and that’s what I told The Intrepid Editor Press, so unless you’re REALLY interested in learning more about my book and how to survive a relationship broken by mental illness, I have no hard feelings if you simply stop here, dig? I’m not going to talk about anything else that is remotely related to the fucking Grateful Dead’s dog and pony show, I’d rather talk about something that really matters; Love.

              

In Chapter 2, “Without Love In The Dream” is about the two marriages I had but lost and the impact it had on my own state of mind. Divorce, as many people know, is one of the most stressful events in any person’s life. No matter if they are mentally balanced, spiritually connected or physically strong…a divorce is a really difficult event to grow past. It’s especially more difficult when children are involved. If you’re like me, I was a child of divorce too, it stays with the child as they grow up and form relationships of their own. In my experience, especially with my second marriage to Cassidy’s mother, my BiPolar Disorder was a defining factor, even though I was not yet diagnosed, this relationship was undermined and sabotaged by yours truly without even realizing it! That’s one of the weird, strange things about BiPolar, being in the center of the chaos, the eye of the storm you’re creating looks entirely different. Unless the other person in your relationship understands this about you, it’s impossible to imagine a healthy relationship. One of the most devious symptoms of being BiPolar is the ability to be a master manipulator which requires a flawless ability to spin tall tells, bullshit on the fly and straight out fabricate lies that are stated with the conviction of indisputable fact. BiPolar people are really good at this so in the relationship, it’s really easy to gain control and steer the fate of the relationship. Typically, in my life, when I do that, I always crash on the rocks and nearly drown in despair.



               I doubt there’s anyone who would argue that the basis of all good relationships is truth and communication. The unfortunate fate of BiPolar people who are not in control of their disease, is they are not capable of doing either of those two skills very well. I always shaped conversations to mean what I wanted them to mean, regardless of the truth. I reasoned with myself, truth is all relative anyways, but that too was a lie. I have excellent speaking skills, I can engage most anyone in a conversation and this often fools people into believing I have good communication skills, but that’s not accurate. Good communication requires equal amounts of speaking and listening, the listening part I typically faked and nobody much noticed. This makes forming solid relationships something I struggled with most of my life. It wasn’t until I was 33 years old, when my relationship cycle changed. I met a 19 year old girl one night in February of 1995 and on July 16th, we got hitched, Vegas style! That girl, some twenty years later, is still my wife because this time, there was Real Love in The Dream.
Notice the apples & serpent...
     


I know many, many people and fortunately most of these people never had to endure a real and lasting relationships with me. Most folks I met drift past, like others riding along a long river current, we pass one another and smile, but rarely do we cross into one another’s currents again. That’s maybe why I’m still remembered fondly in some circles, many people just remember me for the better impressions I left. I’m lucky so I cherish this opportunity today, as a man in control of my dis-ease, I make the most to be as very authentic and real, to remain as truthful and vulnerable, to truly listen with both respect and honest consideration, because I can’t afford to lose any more people. It also makes for much better relationships! So where's all this going? The idea is that in gaining control of my disorder, by getting it in order, I came to understand the importance of truth and communication. It was a long, difficult process to get this disease in control, but once done, it’s an ease to manage a very productive, rewarding life with an abundance of good relationships, and that makes this baby feel like a rich man!

www.dphilipchalmers.net
The book, published by The Intrepid Editor Press, is called “My BiPolar Reality; How Life Goes On…” and is available directly from my website (www.dphilipchalmers.net) where you get an autographed, first edition copy plus other freebies; or, shop for it on-line…ask for it at your favorite purveyor of books, magazines and gifts…or ask Santa, he’s BiPolar too! The end of the end is my friends, we’re all on this tiny blue planet spinning in space for such a very short amount of time and although it’s hard to Imagine, we can and are obliged to leave this world a better place than when we first arrived…I’m trying, in my own way, to do this by sharing the BiPolar experience, by helping to enlighten the public and help end the stigma attached to mental issues and I know, only because I am most truthful with myself, I know I am doing the right thing and will leave this Life better than I started it…so, I’ve changed one life, my own, that’s a fact, it’s the truth and it made the world a little bit better.

Thanks for reading, please re-share at will and if you get my book, say something so I can write back directly to you too! As always, everyone please take care, be well and share kindness!





dphilip.chalmers@gmail.com
Peace,
d’Philip
16 February 2015

San Joaquin Valley Republic of California