06 January 2015

THE WAR ON SELFIES!

This my POV from the front porch in the morning.
I’m not one for making resolutions at the start of each year, much less starting revolutions, but this is an issue I am feeling passionate about, so please…lend me your mind for a few and dig this: I hereby DECLARE A WAR on the endlessly drab stream of “selfie photographs” that are posted and proliferating like millions of dandelions on the side of the Information Superhighway; pretty little flowers that are nothing more than weeds which eventually blow away in the wind! I can certainly appreciate one wanting to share a new hair style, perhaps some groovy new threads you’re wearing but it’s going way beyond this and I think it’s not only senseless, but breeds ill will between people. Like a sickness or a drug, it’s creating a small cancerous in the fabric of our tattered society which could contribute to the eventual disintegration of our community and diminish the very value of our collective souls. I know, you think I’m crazy, I’m a whack job on spelling spree spouting nothing but blather, and you might be right, there are papers which certify me insane, so humor me because at least I won’t insult your God or political positions. Not in this article, at least…so, please, read more.
This is The Farmhouse, from the street POV...

I’ll start this declaration by making an OATH MYSELF to post NO SELFIES of myself at all during 2015…or perhaps longer, we’ll see. I’ll do it too, I will stop taking pictures of me at wherever place or doing whatever thing I’ve done in past selfies, and instead, when that moment to snap a shot inspires me…I will turn the camera around and snap a POV (Point Of View) photo instead! Truthfully people, the age of the “selfie” is over, it’s time to change the focus now. Taking selfies is something of a narcissistic habit, it’s kind of silly too…we all know what one another look like and for the most part, we’re all pretty much the same looking too…what’s the point of posting a dozen photos of yourself a week, in essentially the same poses, it certainly isn’t because one needs to be validated, is it? It could be argued so, I suppose, the whole FB experience seems like a big “me, me, me and make me feel important” circus and it’s the closest thing to 15 minutes of fame one is likely to get in the youtube age. I get that, it’s nice to know other people like one’s style, your new coat, the new hairdo or whatever; but when one is sharing endless photos eating at the mall, hugging others while holding the camera/phone up overhead and laughing…it’s just the same old scene, I’m not learning anything new, are you?
This is our lone palm tree at the end of the driveway

So that’s what I’m going to set a goal for this year…I typically posted maybe a half dozen selfies a week at times, especially when traveling…but you all pretty much know what d’Philip looks like, right? I’ve pretty much looked the same for the better part of the last 40 years, my hair is thinner, grayer…my eyeglasses are thicker and so is my waistline…but I look about the same as I ever have, why bother showing my ugly mug again and again? I will, rather, offer you some interesting photos I’ll take during the course of life during the weeks and months that comprise twenty-fifteen. The POVs will be of different things, sometimes people, other times maybe places, perhaps the skies I see or the ocean I walk along, but there will something about each of these POVs which is something about me. It might be something I find beauty in, of course…but it might be something that makes me angry too! I might try evoke my present emotions or maybe I’ll share an intimate eye I have for trees. My hope and intention is that these POVs will tell you more about me as a spirit having a human experience than some kind of selfie I take at any given moment.

I want to encourage YOU TOO please start snapping some POV photos and sharing them…make your own “mime” from these photos, put a caption that captures your feelings at the moment…use the camera to share more of the world and maybe, in some small way, it might contribute to a better understanding between people. It might help us better understand where we each are coming from, if we see each other’s environments, neighborhoods…show each other what beauty looks like to ourselves, show each other what pain looks like to each other…or what you might find strange, curious, original or simply a sunset out your front window; I’ll show you my world if you’ll show me your world…because, essentially, Life is a matter of Perspective!

Here’s a couple of shots I took on my morning walk around our Farmhouse Estate today. It's nothing too spectacular or wild, but it’s what I saw that looked HOPEFUL to me; I saw these images and found a moment of HOPE in them, do you see what I saw?

This is from the corner,looking back at our humble Farmhouse

This is from the back side, at The Farmhouse with the "horse barn carport"

This is looking towards the back of our land...











Lastly, with the new year for me comes a change to my routine and practices. I am going to be busy around the home front during the first six or so weeks, but then I’ll be getting busy with the book/awareness campaign, I’ll be engaged in some new projects and before you know it, it will be this time next year and I’ll have a completely different set of goals! In 2015 I will be posting a single blog article per week on multiple platforms and limiting my on-line community networking to a mere 10-15 hours per week, spent over the course of a few different days (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday). In January and February I’m planning on trying to launch some kind of LIVE youtube program to promote the book/awareness tour. I’ll be presenting about an hour or so of discussion relating to various issues regarding both the book and the awareness campaign. If YOU would like to be included in this experiment of mine, please send me a note directly (dphilip.chalmers@gmail.com) and I’ll keep you clued into the d’Tales as we know them, cool?
This is from the back POV looking past the tool shed at the Farmhouse

This is from the patio POV looking back at the tool shed and back side of the yard

This is from the patio POV at the walkway to the porch...

Another significant change in my routine, something I value and devote a lot of time to practicing, is my “private time”, those times during the day I set aside for myself. It includes everything from my morning stroll and exercise to my shower, breakfast and medication routines, to my practice of meditation, prayer and even simple little naps. All of this will be altered once I start promoting on the tour and, frankly, it’s a bit frightening. I can do it, I know I’ll be able to manage something that works because it’s one of the most vital elements of my well-being and this year is the beginning of a different level of my career, one which I’ve worked my entire life towards accomplishing. I want to show that to you too; what it looks like to me as I work my through this incredible new adventure of my life…so, not many selfies in 2015, I promise…but you’ll see me within everything I snap and share!
My favorite tree to meditate under, from my meditation POV...

Thank you, as always, I appreciate your comments and good vibes…I’d be most Grateful if you would please share my post with your friends and associates…especially this one, let’s declare a WAR ON SELFIES!

Many wishes for excellent health, good fortune and many opportunities, and a lot of Love, for All!


Peace,
d’Philip
The San Joaquin Valley, California

06 January 2015