12 January 2015

“The Final Days of The Split/Apple”


The Split/Apple was known for "Open Canvass Walls" where you can paint your imagination!

An original poster on the outside wall, 1997
In July we organized and hosted “The Festival of Life” event, a multi-day counter-cultural event that coincided with the 1996 Democratic National Convention which featured a lot of political activities including Rennie Davies (from the historic 1968 DNC, he is of the original “Chicago 8”), some good, groovy music and a lot of booze and drugs. That event kicked off a series of events at The Split/Apple almost every other weekend between July and November, we always sold out and a splendid time was indeed had by all! It was the same deal as before, there was a cover charge (the band got that), we charged for bottomless cups (we got that part) and we always a cut from the others who sold their goods in our house. Once a month it was “Ralph’s Kind” show, the band developed a strong following but with the new regular scene of other artists also playing at The Split/Apple, they enjoyed a larger crowd each month. 
A Poster circa '95

During the summer and fall of '96 The Split/Apple featured a number of renown guests like blues legend Eddie King, emerging jazz great Michael Zerang, even a random visit from Bill Murray one night. We featured the young hippie jam band now known as “moe.” who once played there as did John Kadlecik of “Hairball Willie” & “Dark Star Orchestra” (who would later join the surviving members of The Grateful Dead to form “Furthur”). It was during these “Festival of
John Kadlecik @ The Split/Apple '96
Life” events I had several curious conversations with various groups of people who gathered after every evening’s performance. I pontificated while getting stoned with everyone, saying odd statements about how we were “the next generation” of what was started by Kesey and The Grateful Dead. I was telling people that they had the power to make it real, they were there, at The Split/Apple, at that moment, so that I could share the knowledge, share the sin with them all…some pretty crazy conversations! I know I was involved a group discussion with a couple of the guys in “Ralph’s Kind” and “Hairball Willie” one night while discussing the importance of the music in keeping the community alive; I sounded like I was tripping and many people probably thought I was but the frightening part was, in truth, I was barely stoned when I was spouting this crazy talk!

The Split/Apple on New Year's Eve 1995/96...
The Split/Apple Stage on New Year's Eve 1995/96...
The Festival of Life Day #2 From The Split/Apple stage...
Everybody shakin their bones in the sweltering jams!
We eventually gained notice from High Times magazine, I wrote a piece about my efforts as an activist for the reform of the marijuana laws and mentioned the non-stop party scene of The Split/Apple. They didn't use my op-ed piece (too long) but they did send a reporter and photographer to feature The Split/Apple as a cool underground place to visit in Chicago. All summer long, well into the autumn too, I was on a manic binge that fueled several episodes of staying awake for 36 hours, not eating for almost a week and just pouring all this creative energy into making The Split/Apple and Ralph’s Kind the next best thing since Haight/Ashbury and The Good Old Grateful Dead! In fact, it was this curious period that I got a response from Ken Kesey: I sent a note of sorrow when Jerry Garcia died the previous year. I long forgot about it but one day in late September, I got this strange little package in the mail at The Split/Apple. It was from Ken Kesey and inside was a little hand painted post card sized piece of art with a short little note thanking me for the kind words. He encouraged me to stay in contact, wished me well, signed it “Love, Keez” and for me, at that moment in my manic perceptions, this was a big sign of agreement from the universe!
The Split/Apple Dance Floor from the "crows nest" POV

Getting that message from Kesey, exactly when I did, inside my head validated everything, crazy as it was, it confirmed for me that I was on the right path. I had the system of operation down so well that we drew close to 1,000 people over the course of any weekend. No matter who performed, whatever the cover charge was, we had people coming to The Split/Apple in droves and many of them were underage, almost everybody
Everybody got high at The Split/Apple...
was drinking, buying food, buying weed, LSD, N2O, whatever...just about anything you wanted, we had it available. As the kingpin of this operation, I was known by all as The Hippie Godfather. I got a cut of all of the action and everybody wanted to be my friend. It was feeding both my ego and my mania to new heights as I continued to ignore Kelly and our baby in uterus, for months on end. Kelly never gave up on me, however, she was always at The Split/Apple, or one of the many gigs I booked for “Ralph’s Kind”. She kept tabs on me, she make sure I would eat and despite my asshole attitudes and cruel words, Kelly kept coming back, time after time, always there, always waiting, always knowing, there would come a time…she will be there.
 
The Poster Image for "Ralph's Kind Phish Heads or Tales Tour"
In November of 1996, while the famous hippie jam band “Phish” was touring around college campuses in the Midwest, I set up a tour we called “Phish Heads or Tales” where “Ralph's Kind” performed in the same towns as Phish either before or after the famous band was there. The little tour, our first real outing, was a mixed bag of results but the bottom line was we lost money. It was the first event I planned which didn't meet expectations, I was held most accountable for the debacle and it created a deep divide between certain people associated with the band and myself. There was, unknown to me at the time, a coup at play with the goal of removing me from my position and sending me on my way. This conspiracy was hatched by the band's roadie with a couple of close friends of the band who wanted to be more involved, more in control of the band's affairs. They planted seeds of doubt, pointed out all my erratic actions, my crazy ways and insane temper were called into question and all of this being communicated without my knowledge. After the Thanksgiving weekend, on a frigid, snowy Sunday evening, the 1st of December, 1996, we had a big meeting. The band, along with the roadie and his friends, with me all gathered in circle at the back of the loft. I was literally up against a brick wall, feeling the trail pass before, waiting for the execution that I knew came next. They grilled me, fired questions about why I did what, how I spent whatever, but all of it for me was just fucking bullshit. I was done, I didn't care so I stood there and let them shoot me down. I was simply just dead. After the meeting, without a word, I gathered my bags and walked out the door. Against the wind up Michigan Avenue, I found a pay phone and called Kelly. Before I explained a thing, I cried. Kelly was there in an hour, scooped me up and whisked me off to a suburban hotel room. We cuddled, cried and crashed for the night. From that very night forward, including every night in between then and now, we are together. Always have, and forevermore…that’s the story of our Love, that’s how we Handle with Care.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
dphilipchalmers.net

This is an excerpt from “MY BiPolar Reality; How Life Goes On…”, taken from the end of chapter 3, during the last year of my infamous underground hippie club, The Split/Apple” and it was inspired by a random connection I made on Google+ recently…it started in a thread about the issues surrounding legalization in D.C but from it, I got this awesome e-mail the next day:

“Hello d'Philip Chalmers. My name is Raissa and I wanted to thank you for liking my comment on the DC/marijuana post on Google+. I saw from your info you were associated with the Split Apple in Chicago. I am from the Chicago suburbs, West Chicago, Geneva area. Back in 1996 the band my now husband was in played at the Split Apple right before the Chicago Weedfest. I obtained an excellent hash brownie from someone that night which left my face sore from all of the smiles and laughter (who could say that is a harmful thing?). Just wanted to say "hi" cuz I think you're groovy and appreciate what you're about. Keep on keepin on brother. Thanks for your "like", your time, and everything you're about.
                    Peace and Love,
                        Raissa"



I was simply blown away, what a blast from the past, stepping up to me in my path and stopping me in my tracks to remind me, “Hey yeah, I did do that, didn’t I?”
               “Yes you did…” my wifey reminded me when I recounted the experience to her, “I know, I was there too!”
               “I know, but it’s just I forget it really happened, you know?” I smiled and sighed, “I’m old.”
               “That’s right, you’re my old man!” she chuckled and hugged me before whispering, “That was a long time ago, almost 20 years…be happy people still remember that place and you. She had good memories of The Split/Apple, nearly anyone who was there did, d’Philip…it was an amazing place and yes, you did that too…I Love You!”
“I Love You too…” we gave each a little smooch before being busted by our kids and I sat back thinking about those day, almost 20 years ago…more than 20 years ago now, The Split/Apple Creative Co-Op was an organization I started in the summer of 1994 along with +Matt Glasson, and a few others. The original vision was to create a place where “emerging artists” can get viable support in the expression of their artistic talents. We hosted several art gallery and performance arts exhibitions, there were a couple of plays, a student film had been shot there and dozens upon dozens of concert performance by a variety of different groups. In addition to the performance space, we had a photographic darkroom, a small A/V recording studio and several bedroom spaces that we shared with those in need. It was an altruistic venture, one founded with the purest of good intentions and a place I hoped to grow a new breed of artist while continuing to forge the principals of my own deep hippie roots in The Grateful Dead community. The Split/Apple officially opened the doors on Halloween, 1994 but it was another 6 months before we really started to see any progress. It was frustrating to me back then because I had yet to learn the lesson of being a gardener. The Split/Apple was a garden and it requires time, the right combination of essential elements and patience. I was not a patient person when I was in my 30’s, so the struggle seemed very hard. However, as you can tell by both the story and e-mail I mentioned earlier, it did eventually come to fruition, we did accomplish something unique, original and maybe not ever-lasting, but certainly a good time memory for many! “The idea for the new colony is based on The Split/Apple principal…” I was explaining to my 18 year old son, “Freedom of Association, Creative Expression…”
“That’s cool, Pop…” my son strummed a few chords on his new guitar, “I wish I could have been at The Split/Apple, it sounds very cool.”
“It was…” I smiled and patted my talented son, “But you haven’t seen anything yet!”


This is the second article I’ve posted in 2015 and although I do want to include passages from the book, I really think if you like my blog, you’ll love the book. I’m conflicted, however, because I don’t want to simply pimp my book and offer little else in terms of thoughts and ideas. I know there will be other excerpts from the book posted over the following few months, especially as we get ready to hit the road and promote the book and awareness campaign, my publishing contract dictates that and I like writing this “after the excerpt” bit too…but I do intend on putting more issues out there, I like to start discussions and participate in dialogues, but I’ll also take time to write about the simplicity of family life or how I practice The Secret Art of Daydreaming. There was a time in my life when I protected EVERYTHING I wrote, I didn't share much of it with anyone and when I did, I asked them to keep their opinions to themselves. It’s a complicated story to explain why I was like this (but it’s in “My BiPolar Reality”) however, almost 30 years later and I’ve grown into a more mature, self-confident individual. I thrive on sharing my stories, essays, articles and thoughts of creative expression and I encourage ANYONE who is struck by my work, be it good or not, it doesn't matter…please, if you will, simply repost and share something of mine freely at will, just be sure you copy-it-right!

Take Care and be well!

Peace, 
d'Philip
12 January 2015