02 March 2015

Knowledge Is Key


We were new on the public aid system so when I didn’t properly check out of the hospital, the state was notified and they classified me as leaving against medical advice (AMA). The public aid people are required to follow up with a social worker coming to pay me a visit one day when Kelly was at work and the kids were in school. The social worker was a kind looking woman in her 40’s, very conservatively dressed, short cropped hair and her name way Kay. She came into our little apartment, which at that particular moment was a complete mess because I had not been there to keep it tidy. Kay and I took a seat at the kitchen table. She explained to me something about how I was going to be put on some kind of waiting list for a treatment program that’s public aid approved.  She kindly, slowly explained that in the meanwhile I should continue to see the doctor I was seeing and if I needed to go back to the hospital, I should call her office prior to going so they can help facilitate matters.  It was all very weird and sort of freaked me out even more.  Before she left, she told me that it could take as long as a year to find the right program but to not give up on myself. Very strange, I thought as I locked the door behind her, I looked at her card again before tearing it in half and tossing it away.  When I did that, however, it triggered a sudden feeling of guilt and remorse. I felt bad I did that and I started to cry. I continued sobbing on and off all afternoon, even after the kids came home and then into the evening until Kelly finally came home. “Don’t cry about it baby…” Kelly gently rocked me in bed, my head cradled in her loving embrace, “It’s alright, it’s only a business card.”

“No, it’s more than that…” I sniffled, “It’s like I was rejecting help or something, I felt like I didn’t care, I didn’t care about me enough to take her help or something…I don’t know, I’m just so frightened, Kelly, I’m fucking freaking out.”
“Calm down…” she rubbed me warmly, “Want to smoke a little weed?”
“Yeah, I guess…” I had not been smoking pot for a while because of the episode, but I knew in the past, marijuana always relaxed me and helped me to sort out my thoughts. I think it has something to do with “slowing down” my thoughts so my emotions can catch up with themselves. I sat up as Kelly packed the little glass bowl, “Who did you get weed from?” I asked and then, without waiting for an answer, I asked, “From Landy?”

“Uh-huh…” Kelly smiled and handed me the bowl with a lighter, “You first!”
“Is this good shit or regs?”  I light the bowl and suck in a huge hit.
“Just regs…” Kelly shrugged, “But she’s cheap and convenient.”
“Right…” I exhaled the harsh smoke and cough, “Yeah, well, it works.”
“Right, sort of…” Kelly took a hit and I sat in silence and watched her as the bowl glowed in the reflection of her glasses while her eyes met mine. I was thinking about how long she and I had been together, since 1995, it had been 12, going on 13 years now and I still felt that same sense of comfort and home with her, no matter where we are, as long as we’re together, we’re home. Kelly finally exhaled a large cloud of smoke, “You okay baby? You’re spacing out a little on me…”
“I was thinking about how long we’ve been together,” I smiled, “Dreaming about the past…I was thinking too…” Kelly handed me the bowl, “I’m afraid because I don’t know things, that’s what scares me, I just don’t know, you know?”
“No.” she shook her head and tilted her long hair to the left, “What don’t you know?”
“Well, things, if I just knew things…” I couldn’t put my finger on it, “If I know something, I don’t have fear of it, or at least, as much fear…I don’t know!”

“Knowledge is power.” Kelly smiled, “Right?”
“Yeah, something like that…Fear is rooted in ignorance.” I took a long slow hit from the little green glass pipe and held it in to try and savor the taste, the aroma, the effect of the marijuana, but this was ditch weed. There was no fine, sweet taste or aroma, no mild effect, just a heavy, thick smoke that tasted like charcoal. I coughed, “Don’t buy this shit anymore!”
“I’m sorry…” Kelly took the bowl from me and placed it on the night stand. She handed me a glass of water and smiled, “I missed you, it was lonely without you.”
“Me too.” We snuggled closer and I sighed, “Kelly, all I need to do is understand what’s going on inside my head. I’m a smart guy, right? I can read and comprehend well, I have resources on-line, that’s what I should do; I should try to simply understand what ails me and I can foster the healing process, right?”
“You are the smartest person I’ve ever known.” She kissed me, “Yes, I agree.”
“I love you…” I kissed her back, “Good night.”
“Good night.” She turned out the light, “I love you too.” 

Early the next morning, before anyone else was awake, while The WGN Morning News flickered in the background, I fired up Della the Laptop and began my quest for knowledge. I started by finding some information about BiPolar Disorder from places I considered reliable sources like The Mayo Clinic, The National Institute of Mental Health (NAMI), The CDC and several other random sites about psychological issues. What I discovered was far more than I anticipated and in my damaged state of mind, it was very difficult to comprehend and process this information.

 First this what The Mayo Clinic said:

Bipolar disorder — sometimes called manic-depressive disorder — is associated with mood swings that range from the lows of depression to the highs of mania.  When you become depressed, you may feel sad or hopeless and lose interest or pleasure in most activities.  When your mood shifts in the other direction, you may feel euphoric and full of energy.  Mood shifts may occur only a few times a year, or as often as several times a day.  In some cases, bipolar disorder causes symptoms of depression and mania at the same time.  Although bipolar disorder is a disruptive, long-term condition, you can keep your moods in check by following a treatment plan.  In most cases, bipolar disorder can be controlled with medications and psychological counseling (psychotherapy).

Okay, so it cannot be cured, it’s a long term disruptive condition but it can be controlled with medication and psychotherapy, this sounded simple enough but then, reading further into this illness, when I went to the NAMI website, I found far more information and it sort of really freaked me out, my fear was growing.

This is the text from their website that I first read:


What Is Bipolar Disorder?
Bipolar disorder, also known as manic-depressive illness, is a brain disorder that causes unusual shifts in mood, energy, activity levels, and the ability to carry out day-to-day tasks. Symptoms of bipolar disorder are severe.  They are different from the normal ups and downs that everyone goes through from time to time.  Bipolar disorder symptoms can result in damaged relationships, poor job or school performance, and even suicide. But bipolar disorder can be treated, and people with this illness can lead full and productive lives.

A little more scary, but there was still hope, with treatment. I continued to explore through these websites, looking into everything that had a related link to this disorder but all it seemed to do was freak me out and it was very difficult for me to comprehend and process. Over the next many days and weeks, I kept going back to this research, this quest for knowledge. I did it for hours, over and over, to these websites to read and re-read articles and research about BiPolar Disorder.
 I started to understand scientists are studying the possible causes of bipolar disorder but most scientists agree there is no single cause. Rather, many factors likely act together to produce the illness or increase risk. Genetic Bipolar disorder tends to run in families.  Some research has suggested that people with certain genes are more likely to develop bipolar disorder than others. Children with a parent or sibling who has bipolar disorder are much more likely to develop the illness, compared with children who do not have a family history of bipolar disorder. However, most children with a family history of bipolar disorder will not develop the illness. I realized, one day, I was not as freaked out about all this new information. I kept my studies to myself, I soaked the information into my brain like a diligent grad student.


Meanwhile, as I tried to find comfort in knowledge, Kelly was working hard to keep our family going. She was working full time, dealing with the state welfare departments to insure Maggie’s diabetic needs were addressed and always taking care of me in my fragile state of mind. I had a good day every once in a while, but most of the time my emotions were like thin ice, ready to crack and break through, I would drown if that happened so I always tried to tread lightly. It didn’t always work, there were some loud and frightening outbursts at times. I couldn’t seem to control this behavior. I just snapped, my mind went blank, white and gray, I could not see anything but fear or rage. I lashed at the kids, at Kelly, at my neighbors, at strangers. I found peace in music, I used songs to calm myself when I could. I played John Lennon’s “Watching The Wheels” every morning because it gave me a sense of hope. I enjoyed listening to entire Grateful Dead shows, especially the ones I was at when they happened, I tried to give myself flashbacks, but it never worked. That might be a good thing, but I was looking for a way to tap into my soul again. The medication, the trauma of the entire experience, the way life was one continual haze, I knew I lost sight of my soul. I intrinsically knew too, finding that part of me was a keystone in my recovery process. I just had a very difficult time during that year in finding it, but I never stopped looking. The kids were engaged in school, they started to make friends in the neighborhood and as far as I could tell, they were safe and stable. Cassidy was still a part of our life, but being a teenage boy by this time, he was more often into his own social life and only came to see us a few times while we lived at The Retro. 

I was not me, I was having all kinds of side effects and the bottom line, I was not really feeling any better, not very stable and most unsatisfied with care and treatment I was getting at Illinois Metro’s out-patient clinic. Dr. Markem was long gone but I was still on the same basic drug cocktail he prescribed. I had no evaluation since my discharge in December of ‘06 and when I went for my monthly check-up and medication refills, my doctor, whoever it was that month, always deflected my concerns. The doctors advised me to stay on these medications because getting off them is very difficult and most likely result in death! Scare tactic therapy, it worked for almost a year on me, I went along with the plan. I was so keenly aware, perhaps too keenly aware, of the dangerous impacts of this mental illness and the serious risks of treating it with certain kind medications. I called a suicide hotline twice during that summer. I wasn’t so much suicidal as I was simply scared and needed somebody to talk to, someone to listen to me, to validate me, to comfort me. By the end of the summer, as the season changed, so did my disposition and demeanor. I still had no treatment, no therapist, no regular doctor, no immediate care, no long term care, I had nothing to work with and I was falling deeper into depression. In November my tremors were continually twitching my body and I was felt this looming shadow of doom from all these mixed up feelings inside. I felt completely hopeless. On Christmas Eve, I remember standing with Kelly, looking out the front window of our little apartment, the lawn and trees freshly covered with still falling snow, the lights of the holiday decorations twinkling and shimmering and Kelly whispered, “It’s so beautiful, isn’t it?” as she wrapped her arms around me from behind, “We are so blessed.”

“I can’t see it…” I started to cry, “I can’t see any beauty, just nothing!”
“It’s okay baby…” I turned around in Kelly’s warm hug and she whispered, “Next year is going to be better, I promise…let’s go to bed.”
“I love you.” I wiped my eyes and followed my wife to bed, “Good night, Christmas 2007…Let’s hope it’s great in oh-8!”
“Great in 2008!” Kelly giggled, “I love you.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

www.dphilipchalmers.com
I decided to share this excerpt from “My BiPolar Reality; How Life Goes On…” instead of writing about a more topical issue because somebody I don’t know in person, but through this community (you might also know this person, but with all due respect, it could be anyone) is at a very similar point in their recovery process. This scene, from Chapter 7, “A Dog & Pony Show; Diagnosis & Disabilities” takes place during the latter part of 2007, about six months after being discharged from an extended stay in a psych ward in December of 2006. During this time, the wheels were turning very slowly if at all, I felt more and more depressed. I followed the rules, I took the fucking meds, every damn day, I did what they told me to do but it made little difference, if anything I got worse. The side effects were atrocious, the way those medications were making me feel truly caused me both mental and physical ailments. I had less ability to control my emotions, I was a bastard to live with and worse of all I really hated myself…I hated me so much that I just wanted to be dead. Did I try to commit suicide, not that time because the two previous attempts failed and, I knew, these suicidal ideations could be induced by the medications, so they weren’t real. But the truth, in my soul, I didn’t really give fuck if I lived or died, it was all the same shit to me and I even imagined my wife and children, my parents, brother and friends would be better off with me because I sucked that bad. I was that much of a burden and the best thing I could give them was an easy way to not deal with me at all, just be dead. But, as I shared in the excerpt, I have a good woman and that perhaps was my saving grace. Again.

The other significant factor that helped buoy my state of mind, although not as obvious, was having a little bit of marijuana with my wife when I was feeling so sad and confused that day. The weed was, as we common call domestic pot you found off the streets, not a very good strain. It tasted horrible, I gagged while smoking it and I got as much of a headache as I did insight from that experience. But I did gain an important insight, despite the side effects, the marijuana helped me slow my rapid thought course, helped me process my emotional state and I could reason with myself to develop a plan of action. I didn’t intend on the pot having any benefit for me other than to calm my shattered nerves; I cannot drink while on the medications, but taking more medications didn’t seem logical either. My wife smoked pot to relax, so I joined her that night yet I got much more from the experience than I imagined. I was inspired by the notion that I could reduce my fears by increasing my knowledge, this thought never occurred to me while on the other medications. I couldn’t think out of a paper bag on those meds, but having just a little bit of cannabis, which activates the NATURAL CANABOIDS in the brain, helped me think about my situation in a new way. It set the course for my recovery by igniting my own intellectual abilities to help me help myself understand this disorder, what treatments and medications are most effective and, in essence, teach myself to doctor what ailed me.

I am not a doctor, mind you, I have just studied a shit ton of material about mental illness and the human body. I do have an ambition to take the MCAT exams (Medical College Admissions Test), simply to see how well I could score on it, but I don’t really want to be a “medical professional”, dig? I can cite dozens of articles and studies on the impact of marijuana on the human brain, body and spirit and in all truthfulness, there are both positive and negative impacts of using this plant as a medication. Many “medical professionals” will admit the medicinal properties of marijuana are there, but until they can safely be synthetically reproduced in a pill form, they won’t endorse or use it…but then again, one has wonder where the “medical professionals” best interest really is sometimes, right? After all, if there was a remedy you grew yourself, for practically free, how much revenue would the doctor lose from not having to write you a new prescription every few months? But setting that aside, my point is simply this…if you are struggling right now, like I was, if you are not getting the help you need…use your brain, think for yourself…all the information is out there and available. Is it easy to understand, hell no, it’s hard as fuck sometimes? Will it make you feel instantly better? Nope, it will take months of daily study until you’re even half sure of what you know. But eventually, trust me, you will know yourself AT LEAST as well as ANY “medical professional” plus you’ll have the advantage of knowing the same facts as they know but not being limited to their dogmatic response and procedures. Knowing as much as you can possibly know about your “affliction”, no matter what the affliction, empowers you with so much confidence that nobody can come close to knowing you better than you!




This empowerment has a ripple effect as well, from your sense of confidence comes the ability to disarm and dis-able the haters of the world, those who are ignorant to the plight of the mentally ill, those who have narrow, malleable small minds; they become simply powerless! Because you have the power of knowledge, facts and the truth that YOU learned this YOURSELF…which is by far more than anyone who is trying to stigmatize you or me has ever done for themselves. Beware, they might hate you even more because you’re right…but that’s their anger to live with, not yours. You simply have to live well, confident in yourself but always aware, on guard for those potential triggers…but knowing that, in itself, prevents those triggers from becoming unmanageable. Knowledge is key, know thyself is epic.

Thanks again for following and reading along in my blog, again I am very Grateful for your support and if you BUY MY BOOK from MY website, it's not only autographed, but you gets some free shit too! Please feel free to re-share this post with the world at large and until next time, like always...
Take care & be well!

Peace,
d'Philip
The San Joaquin Valley
Republic of California
2 March 2015