16 March 2015

A Big Rig Life

 
A Selfie at CDL school...March, 2003
In March of 2003 we moved out of the dumpy apartment with the intention of Kelly and the kids living with her father in Arlington Heights while I would go away for a six week truck driving school in Indiana. Once I completed the course, after I passed the CDL test (after 6 attempts), the school/company connected me with a Florida based trucking company. I removed myself from Kelly and family so I could simply focus on what I needed to do, build a truck driving career. I enjoy driving, I like going across country and I reasoned that we as a family could live almost anywhere, not just Chicago, if I was a truck driver.
The kids and me, the night before I left...
I was certified by the school/company, hired on the spot by the Florida trucking company representative and sent back to home with a sizable cash sign-on bonus.

On the second week of May, a brilliant and balmy Wednesday, I was picked up by a company trainer. I rode for 2-3 weeks to learn the ins
Kissing my wife good-bye...
and outs of how things work “out there on the road” and other company procedures. The guy was an absolute redneck hick, literally from Hazard County, Kentucky (the location of the television show, “The Dukes of Hazard”) named Jake. From the moment we met, Jake didn’t like me. Tearfully, I hugged the family in a group one last time before I climbed aboard the tall, powerful machine. As I leaned into the cab Jake flared his nostrils with a face of disdain, I knew it was my Patchouli body oil. He barely gave me a chance to say goodbye before he revved the mighty engine of his Freightliner and barked at me, “C’mon, get a move on, we ain’t got all day!”
“I’m coming…” I cheerfully called back but I had hardly shut the door when Jake pulled away from the curb. I leaned out the window to wave but Jake shifted gears roughly and I started falling out, I fell back into my seat and snorted, “Sorry about that…” I started to apologize as I reached for my safety belt, “This is the first time I’m heading out…”
“No shit…” he grumbled, “Get used to it.”
“Yeah, it’s tough…” I shrugged, “But a man’s got to do what a man’ got to do, right?”
“Whatever.”  He was short and curt, “We gotta pick up a load in someplace called Rockford and then we’re heading to Texas.”
“Texas?” I nodded, “I can dig Texas.”
At a truck stop in Utah, May, 2003...

Almost the entire three and a half weeks of my training, I was completely miserable with this dumb as shit redneck named Jake. He was a Bible thumping racists, sexists, completely clueless asshole. He was an awful driver, often breaking rules
Heading toward California, May 2003...
and laws I even knew were wrong. We crossed the country several times in the span of 10 days but when Memorial Day weekend came, Jake decided to go visit his family in Hazard County, Kentucky. He simply left me to live alone in the truck while it was parked at some out of the way, beaten path truck stop in the middle of the Eastern Kentucky hills. We got there on a Thursday afternoon and his fat, sloppy looking wife and their three screaming kids were waiting for him in their battered minivan. He didn’t even say good bye, only that he’d be back on Tuesday morning and that if I had any problems, to call the dispatch office, not him. I got out of the cab and decided to stretch my legs and take in the nature with a long walk down the lonely road.
A selfie, Memorial day in 2003, Kentucky
 I eventually came to a swimming hole and found a bunch of teenagers hanging out. I sat down to join them for a spell, telling them I was a writer working on a story about over the road truck drivers. They smoked me up with some local ditch weed, which worked well since I had been clean for weeks. I offered them $20 and they gave me a few more buds of the bright green home grown weed. I took the green stash back to the truck and savored over the next several days while waiting for Jake to come back. I spent a great deal of time writing and developing a new screenplay. In the morning, I went for long exploratory walks up and down the hills surrounding the truck stop. I occupied myself with the fresh air, green spring trees, the rolling hills, as well as a steady intake of marijuana, it seemed to help pass the time until Jake returned. It was the three best days of my training, when I was alone, not moving and just being a writer living the cab of a truck in the middle of the woods.
A selfie inside the cab, Memorial Day, 2003

Leaving Kentucky late on Tuesday afternoon, Jake was in a rank mood. The visit with his family was upsetting him and we were finally in agreement when he yelled, “I need to hit the road fast!”
“Where we going to next?” I asked as I looked at the map. We were heading South East towards Tennessee, “I’m ready
Sunrise in Tennesee, May 2003...
for the road too!”
“I do this for them, you know.” He sounded like he was confiding in me, opening up in a way he hadn’t before so I just listened, “I ain’t got but an 8th grade education, there ain’t no coal mine no more…I could do moonshine with my cousin but that ain’t right either.”
“Driving a truck is an honorable position.”  I assured him, “It’s tough, yeah, but it’s both an honest living and a vital function in our economy.”
“You a college boy?” he looked at me sideways with a grin, “You look like a college boy.”
“Yeah I did time in college.”  I chuckled, “Like prison, it was a drag.”
“You been to prison?”
“Not yet…” I lied, I didn’t want to tell the story of being locked up in Oregon for 3 days on a stolen vehicle charge, I shrugged, “So where we going?”
“North Carolina and then to Texas.”  He turned up his CB radio and started chatting with another trucker about traffic or some shit. I crawl off to the back of the rig to lay down. In between his conversation, as I was pulling the large plastic dividing curtain closed, Jake said, “Get some sleep college boy, you’re doing most of the driving from now on!”
“Right on.”  I smiled.  I had barely done any driving up to this point so having the wheel for a while was appealing, “Wake me when you need me.”


When Jake woke me several hours later, it was outside Rocky Mount, North Carolina, parked across from a Denny’s diner. I rolled off the top bunk and opened the heavy plastic curtain and Jake was outside, standing in front of the truck, taking a piss. I opened the door, leaped out to join and asked where we were and what we were doing. He explained we arrived at the pick-up station but the gates didn’t open for another four hours. I nodded and then, looking over at The Denny’s, I suggested we go inside for a bite to eat and some coffee. Jake seemed oddly surprised by my suggestion but he accepted the offer so we zipped up, locked up the truck and walked across the road to take a seat at the counter in America’s all night diner. I knew what I was going to have, the only thing I ever have whenever I am at a Denny’, I like their infamous “Moons Over My Hammy” sandwich platter with seasoned fries. 
Yummy...
I slide the menu to the side without opening it and Jake was again slightly surprised, “You know what you’re going to have?”
“Yep.” I smiled, “I like the Moons Over My Hammy breakfast sandwich.” 
“The hell is that?” he cocked an eyebrow and wore a silly Kentucky grin, “Sounds like a fag meal!”
“It’s good.”  I went into detailed description of the toasted bread, the fluffy scrambled eggs, the thick slices of ham and, of course, the cheese, “It’s awesome, you should have one too!”
“I think I will!” he put his menu down as the middle aged waitress approached us and I made the order for the both of us. We both also ordered cokes and coffee, Jake added a dessert of ice cream too. Once she left, he turned to me and explained the game plan, “We’re going to pick up this load right when the gates open and then head along I-10 west to Texas, we drop it in Fort Worth tomorrow.  You drive the first 8 hours and then I’ll take us into Fort Worth.”
A Big Rig Life...and I'm the driver!
“Okay, sounds like a plan.” The waitress brought our drinks over and I asked, “You just gonna crash when we leave?”
“Yeah, it’s all on you, buddy!” Jake seemed more human to me, less redneck as we continued talking about life on the open the road. I told him about my Grateful Dead days, following the band across the country and that took us into a discussion about music.  Jake liked his country music, hated rock and roll music of any kind, but then when I told him I had some Johnny Cash CDs, he smiled big as our food arrived, “I love me some Folsom Prison!”
Johnny Cash, one of my favs!
“I have that show...” I nodded, “I'll put it on when we leave. But first, my friend, doesn't this meal look awesome?”
“Yep, it sure do!” Jake took a big bite of his sandwich and smiled as he chewed in silence. We ate our food, got several refills of coffee and once we finished with the food, we continued talking.
Before we knew it was half past four and almost time for our pick up.  We made friends that night, we somehow connected over food and music we found common ground, we saw each other differently.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Available Now!
This excerpt from “My BiPolar Reality; How Life Goes On…” is from the fifth chapter, “Koyaaniqatsi; A Midlife Presentation” and takes place about 18 months before my psychotic break, while I was very ill but not being treated at all. I decided to share this part of the story, however, because the character of this red-neck truck driver trainer named Jake from Kentucky, is a personality very different than my own. I didn’t like the guy at all when I first met him, I wanted to like him but he was so racist, so very narrow minded and pretty thick headed, I couldn’t like him at all. The feeling was mutual too, I was an college educated Yankee with long hair and beard, about as alien as it got in Hazard County Kentucky! When Jake left me for the weekend, while I was alone and getting stoned, I somehow changed my mind about this guy enough so that when he came back, I saw him in a different light. I saw him as this simple guy just trying to put food on the table for his family. He wasn’t the antithesis of things I don’t like, but rather a victim of the environment he was raised among. His daddy was a drunk after they closed the coal mines and his granddaddy was a boot-legger during prohibition. His wife was his only sweetheart, he had never left Hazard County or Kentucky before taking this job as a truck driver, so he was as much out of his element as I was and that, with the help of some food and music, helped bridge the gap between us, helped me to see Jake in a better light.

I Googled "Redneck Jake" and got this image!


The mutual respect and admiration didn’t last long, as you’ll read if you buy the book, but that’s not the point. The point is, no matter how very different one person thinks they are from another, in nearly every situation the two opposing people probably have more in common than not, they are more alike than different and they both share the bounty and burden of Life. Not always, I know, there are some people who one might imagine you’d never get along with, not in a million years because they believe in every single thing that you don’t and they would never respect your beliefs either…we all know, we all have somebody like this in our lives. It’s natural, every yin has a yang, the day has it’s night and it’s likely polar opposite people are strangely drawn together at times. It’s okay, it’s natural, but is it healthy? I think it’s a problem, here’s why; Pretend, for a moment that you and your polar opposite individual are trapped under a fallen building destroyed in a storm…then ask yourself, what does it matter if you agree or disagree, if they are a racists or they are a Jew, when you’re trapped in a catastrophic situation, you both need each other to survive.
At the core, inside all, we each have the will to live. That alone is reason enough for me to work on appreciating, respecting, tolerating and forgiving everyone who gets me pissed off because of their negative, intolerant, ignorance or whatever; at the core, we all the will to live and this alone binds us to each other for the better.


As much as I tried to stay focused and get a lot accomplished last week, it was again a difficult task getting from Monday to Saturday. That’s Life, sometimes, but along the way this week I made the mistake of lashing out at some people. My family, in particular my wife, felt my bristling and cranky moods when I spoke with sarcastic and mocking tones. I didn’t mean to do that, I was under so much pressure, dealing with things beyond my direct control and my feelings come out sideways at whoever is near me. My wife was with me a lot this week, I feel worse about being that way with her than anyone else this past week, she simply deserves better that I provided this week. That’s Love, sometimes, but along the way we did kiss and make-up, which is always fun and I feel so blessed by her compassionate understanding and it both fortifies our relationship and fills me with a confidence of being truly loved for who I am, no matter who I am. I was rude and snide with a few other people too, mostly strangers that I’ll never meet on-line or random people who cross my path in my daily encounters. I tried to rip into one guy, on-line, who was spewing his “Christian Values” with a nasty dose of hateful damnation towards anyone…of any religion…who didn’t agree with him. I can’t shut-up sometimes, when I see/read these kind of ignorant, narrow minded, intolerant comments made by people. Sometimes I see it like a bully beat-up on some kid, I step into protect the victim but in all that anger and rage, when dealing with foolish trolls, is like sticking my hand into the fire to grab a log that I intend on bonking the idiot with, but in the end, I’m the one who has a burned, hurting hand. Futile anger is not healthy. I did, the next day, make an on-line apology to the guy, I was indeed sincere too so I “+’d” him, but he didn’t respond. That’s alright, I know I did right by my own virtues, so I rest easy.
I was rude to this homeless guy that lives someplace around our neighborhood too, but I didn’t feel as bad about that encounter. I was on my early morning stroll and the homeless guy was rummaging through somebody’s trash can looking for whatever…food, tools, something useful…but as he did, he was tossing all kinds of paper and crap all over the street. I was nice at first and simply said, “When you’re done, could you please pick up the crap on the street?” and the guy growled at me with a nasty snarl and told me to fuck off! I went off on the guy, I started beating him up with cruel words and he escalated the encounter with wild, rage and incoherent ranting…much like me, but not on his medication. That’s when I stopped arguing, I saw myself in this homeless guy’s rage and I felt small. I stopped yelling and continued walking. Later, when I walked back past the trash can, a lady in a yellow robe was picking up the trash on the street. I felt bad and went to help her, she thanked me. I felt better and again remembered, anger burns the self first, so keep cool, man, keep cool!

This week ahead is my last week of hanging around The San Joaquin Valley for a while, I’ll be preoccupied with getting things ready for myself. Next weekend we’re going to Monterey for an interview of me about the book and being a father with mental illness. The interview is part of a documentary in production about people who have over-come the obstacles of mental illness. The next weekend after that I’ll be engaged in a live stream on World BiPolar Day (March 30, Vincent Van Gogh’s birthday) from Yosemite National Park in California.  The first week of April and continuing into May, Mental Health Awareness Month, I’ll be fully engaged on tour to promote the book. This does sound a bit exciting and fun, but in truth, for me, it’s scary and a hellish feat to accomplish. Aside from the book, this tour has been in the planning since last April (2014) and there’s a great deal involved with making it happen that depends on me and my ability to “perform” when it comes time for me to do my bit and talk about this shit that I wrote. In June, however, I’ll be able to not only rest, but my commitment to promoting this book so hard will end! Unless, of course, it catches fire nationally and Oprah names it for her book club, then I imagine I’ll still be busy with “My BiPolar Reality…” but I look forward to the dawning of summer this year!

Sonora is in The Gold Rush Territory...
Aside from relocating from The San Joaquin towards the mountains around Sonora, I’ll have the ultimate luxury of having nothing to do but write another book. I am really getting excited about this too, I couldn’t help but start drafting an outline, begin the research process and organize my notes. The next book is another non-fiction work about spirituality, mental wellness and music and we expect to publish it in August of 2016, so if I sit down to actually start writing by June 1st, I’ll be done by this time next year…but you know, what Lennon said…Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans…so who knows, not me, what will happen in three months, six months, a year? That’s one of the most enjoyable parts of life for me, if anyone understands “Man plans, God laughs!” it’s me but I like a good joke. It’s great when my plans come together exactly as I planned, but it’s far more spectacular, meaningful and positive when I accomplish something despite my plans going awry, I find great reward in those moments. Even when nothing goes according to plan, it failed and I feel like I lost again, it’s not so important because I had a hell of a good time playing the game. Win or lose, life is a game every day, every year…it’s not about the prize or glory, although it’s nice…it’s for the Love of The Game that is Life’s Great Treasure and Wealth.

The area near Sonora we're looking at...


I digress, I ramble, I apologize but sincerely appreciate your time and attention…I hope with the article I’ve been able to both trigger you to think about something, feel something positive and if I did, I can only humbly ask you show your support and purchase my latest book “My BiPolar Reality; How Life Goes On…” wherever you shop for books or at my website, www.dphilipchalmers.net (you get it autographed and free stuff when you buy directly from me)! I’d say something about seeing you on-line this week, but if next week is anything like the last two, there’s little chance I’ll be able to say much. I am trying to make arrangements for a Google Hangout sometime soon, if I can get it organized I do hope you’ll accept my invitation when it comes…but until then, again, I am most Grateful!

Take care, be well and stay safe!

Peace,
d’Philip
Monday 16 March 2015
The San Joaquin Valley, Republic of California

Earth