01 December 2014

Happy Birthday My Child of Destiny

In December of 1996, during the first week of that month, my mind and spirit, my body and soul were both tested and blessed with so many changes, I could hardly handle it all. If not for the strength, the pure belief in Love from Kelly, my Life would be over by now. If not for her, I could not be here to write this now. She Loves Me that Well.  After rescuing me, day after day, for the next five days, we drove back and forth to the hospital. Kelly had preliminary contractions until on Thursday, the 5th of December, my wife gave birth to our first child, my second son, Julian. I was given the honor of cutting the cord and at that moment, I felt my fore ordination being met.  I was supposed to be a father, this was who I was in my core, I believed I was always supposed be a father. We gave Julian a middle name of Destiny, for the reason that he showed me a tangible path in my life, in our life.   Kelly’s father is the last living male who carries their German family name and Kelly is his only biological child. He adopted two older boys, Kelly's half-brothers, they have his family name too but Kelly is his only child of blood. Because Julian Destiny is the only one who can truly carry the family blood line, out of respect for her father, a man we both deeply love and adore, we gave our son a hyphenated last name, which is uniquely his own. Kelly and I stayed together in the hospital for a couple of days, camping in her posh room like John and Yoko.

On Saturday, when we checked out on the 7th of December, Pearl Harbor Day and my 35th birthday, we got a hotel room in Rolling Meadows. I remember that night, I laid in one bed alone while Kelly and the baby slept in the other bed. The television was glowing with bright images of holiday cheer, an abundance of indulgence and joy, the consumer frenzy of prepackaged happiness and I just started crying. It wasn't because of the false hopes of the commercials and other media minutia that seemed to contrast with my reality. I wept hardest because there I was, on my 35th birthday in about the same place I was when I was on my 21st birthday. I had to make changes to move forward in this life. Over the rest of the month, as the holidays loomed and then gloomed past, Kelly, Julian and I found shelter sleeping on the floor of a kind man’s apartment. Living like Mary, Jesus and Joseph, we were homeless, jobless, penniless and in my state of depression I was hopeless and useless.

Julian with dad, February 1997

In February, with the help of her father and the kindness of her brother, Kelly got a job and we got a tiny apartment in a dangerous part of Evanston. I wanted to be close to Cassidy but I was drifting further from the shore, I was getting deeper into a depression and I was getting really crazy under this pressure. One day I started considering how exactly I could rob a bank and get away with it; for a serious 48 hours I made very real plans to commit this crime. I “staked out” different locations, made notes of escape routes, picking alternative routes for the fastest get-away. I got rubber gloves and made a toy pistol look very real with a fresh coat of black spray paint. I thought about how I could get away with it, if I only did it once, I was going to wear a ball cap, shave my beard off because I look very different, but wear dark shades and scarf like a real outlaw. I would never get caught. The night before I was going to pull the trigger, so to speak, I had bad racing thoughts and I drank very heavily until I passed out. I woke late, with a hangover so bad I was puking for the first hour I was awake. It was almost noon, past my target time and then I just lost the nerve or perhaps I knew I wasn’t that stupid, but either way I didn’t do it and never thought about doing that (or anything like that) again. I was over whelmed by the guilt of thinking it out, planning it so seriously, I never told anyone about it either, so I felt ashamed only in the mirror or under the covers, alone with God at night. 

During this time I started to reconnect with my family, one by one, I reached out to each of my family. It started when I randomly saw my mother one night in late March. Kelly and I, along with baby Julian, had to drop Cassidy off at Susan’s house and my mom was waiting there to see us all. Mom had retired and was moving to Arkansas later that week, it was the last time she could see Cassidy, or any of us, before she left. It was the first time mom and Kelly ever met, they seemed to make a connection immediately. Then mom picked up baby Julian (her third grandchild by me), she cradled him so close and tenderly then, when mom looked up at me, she was crying. I hugged mom and the baby, we instantly broke down the wall, both of us felt a lot better, I felt Love again, my mother's Love and there are few feelings in Life as pure and good. It's the kind of Love that heals, seeing my mother again gave me both strength and hope. In the following weeks I reached out to my brother and eventually my father until, by the time spring came around, I was putting forth the effort to rebuild my foundations and I started to feel a little better again. Yet, and by this time in my life I knew this, this was all part of the cycle. I get bummed and blue in the short days of the cold winters, I get bright and creative with the full energy of the warm summers. I knew it, but I didn't care because we needed me to do something, so I did.       

In May I took a job with Kelly’s brother as a door-to-door Kirby vacuum cleaner salesman. I caught on really quick, it was a very easy role for me to play when I turned on my more manic but positive qualities. I perfected my performance of the sales script, I dressed casually cool, business slick and smiled even when I felt like shit. I took on every challenge, I went for broke on every sales call and before too long there was nothing to stop me, I became the top salesman in my first month! I won all kinds of prizes, made all sorts of cash, I put in 16 hours a day, I worked 7 days a week. I was a machine, a vacuum cleaner selling machine. Kelly’s mother, who did not like me up until this time, made a big effort to help. She let us live in an empty house in Chicago's unique Shoresch Village neighborhood, it's where Kelly’s grandparents had lived. Grandfather passed away in the house in 1982 but her grandmother was ill and living with Kelly’s mother. We felt stable, we felt grounded, but it was all built upon a lie, a lie I was telling everyone around me and even myself. I told myself this lie when I cashed those big paychecks, I told it when I won the set of luggage or the color TV, even as I won a trip for the family in June, I lied, I was not happy.

Everything seemed to be going very well, I wore the mask very well and everyone around us joined in the good times but they were doomed to be short lived. In July I felt this intense stress to repeat my incredible performance. I buckled and caved, no longer able to play the game. I started to act out in strange, bizarre ways. Getting angry with myself, I again hated what I had become, it was the lie crumbling under the pressure of the reality. Then one day, simply because I didn’t care, I wrote up a false deal to my father. I pulled a random old contract from the business files, scammed on somebody’s credit card number and then used it as if it was my father’s card to put a “hold” on this sale. I put the “sold” machine in the office for safe keeping. I had every intention of covering my tracks by actually getting my dad to buy the Kirby when he came to visit the next week but it didn’t work out that way…instead the Kirby company ran the credit card, it went through and a few days later, when the person who owned the credit card called to dispute the charge, all the shit hit the fan and I was busted.

I was fired and told there would be criminal charges filed against me soon. I left the office in Arlington Heights, got on the toll way back to Chicago and I was an emotional wreck, my head about to burst from the inside out. I was trembling, my heart was beating hard, I couldn't catch my breath.  I was streaming tears, not thinking clearly as I gripped the wheel of that ’89 Dodge van, I pressed the pedal hard, speeding along at better than 75 miles an hour. I had a sudden urge, almost irresistible feeling of making a hard right turn right there on the freeway, in front of this semi-truck that was riding close in the lane next to me; when I checked the rear view mirror to see how far in front of the suicide machine I was, I caught a glimpse of Julian’s car seat in the back seat. I burst out, crying harder, tears turning into a flood obscuring my vision, I took my foot off the pedal, pulled into the left shoulder emergency lane. A state trooper came to help me get back on the road. I got home to Kelly, immediately breaking down and telling her about everything I could until, somehow, some time that night, she checked me into Sparrowood Hospital because of my suicidal tendencies, and then I don’t remember too much more than that for several more weeks.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Julian, March of 2014, after saving us
from a lethal house fire!
This excerpt from Chapter 4 of “My BiPolar Reality; How Life Goes On…” is significant to me this week because that child who is born, Julian Destiny, celebrates his 18th birthday this Friday, 5 December 2014! I cannot believe how quickly time has passed with this child of ours, he is an amazing, artistic and gifted individual (his IQ was tested at 143) and we could not be more proud of this boy. When he was born I was already 35 years old and it was because of him, that I didn’t try to commit suicide back in ’97; this child would go on to save our entire family’s life when we almost had a house fire earlier this year, before we relocated from Illinois. He has become one of my most trusted friends too, in a way no other child of mine has bonded with me, Julian has a unique understanding of me as I do of him too. It’s weird, a bit curious really, but there’s a connection between us, Julian and I, that resonates in my hidden halls of past lives, as if, somehow, Julian and I know one another from the past too. I know, call me crazy (and I have papers to prove I am), but there’s a special bond with this child I cannot otherwise describe. In the very least, at my most basic human level and in my heart of hearts, I don’t care if we knew one another before or not; I’m just very Grateful we have this life, this time and space together now. This boy, this child of my destiny, is now come of legal age so although he’ll be my son until the end of time, he is no longer my legal responsibility. That’s a really weird feeling too, as a parent, it’s even a little frightening (for me, I admit) that he is now responsible for his own actions, whatever they might be…it’s Julian’s life, although it always has been, it’s now his time to start shining in his own right/rite…our little squirt is now an adult man!


  

“My BiPolar Reality; How Life Goes On…” used by permission of The Intrepid Editor Press Ltd. and is available (LIMITED autographed first edition) at dphilipchalmers.net OR at your favorite purveyor of books, magazines and gifts everywhere.