06 April 2015

The Heaviest Mettle on The Planet (Part Juan)

“I just think we’re a lot like them, not that we should be them, play all their tunes or anything…” I was explaining my theory of how the high school garage band I was infamous for, Flight, was something like one of my favorite bands of the period, Led Zeppelin, “You are the drummer, I play Bass, Gino is guitar and Rich sings…Like Bonham, Jones, Page and Plant…that kind of arrangement.”
               “But I thought you wanted to be like The Beatles?” Scotty reasoned, “You play the same guitars as Paul McCartney does, you’re always go one about them…Led Zep, it’s just so…heavy.”
               “I think I sing better than Robert Plant too.” Rich injected as he and Gino sat across from Scotty and me while we rode the Metra train from Arlington Park into Chicago. It was a chilly but bright Saturday, the 9th day of April in 1977 and next to Scotty, I was the youngest one on the train and I was only 15! Both Gino and Rich, seniors at Buffalo Grove High School, were 17 but Scotty was still in the 8th grade and only 14 years old, yet we were a band and we called ourselves Flight. This was our one and only grand adventure together we were going to see Led Zeppelin at The Chicago Stadium, it was an epic event back in the day, they were at the height of their career and to four wanna be rock stars like us, this was a trip to Mecca! Rich, the lead singer and an arrogant, snobby sort of wealthier kid, was some kind of star choir boy at the local church and he was more Gino’s friend who could sing than a member of the band to me, “I’m just saying, the guy screeches, he’s not a vocal genius.”
               “Jimmy Page is a genius!” Gino beamed, Page was his hero, above all other players, Jimmy Page was who Gino wanted to be most like, this was his dream, “I can’t wait, we’re in the front section, to the right, about 10 rows back, perfect to see Page!”

               “How do we get from the train station to the stadium?” Scotty asked as we finally pulled into the station, the steel and glass city scape scraping the skies another shade darker as show time grew closer and the moments grew near, “I’ve never been to Chicago alone.”
               “You’re not alone…” I patted my friend on the back as we stood up to get off the train, “We’ll grab a cab upstairs and be at the stadium in minutes!”
               The Chicago Stadium, the original building, not the “United Center” that Michael Jordon and The Chicago Bulls Dynasty built, but the old, crumbling building erected in 1929, the one that used to be the world’s largest indoor stadium, was located at 1800 West Madison Street, a 10 minute cab ride from Union Station’s front doors. The four of us piled into an old style cab, the kind that used to populate the streets of American cities, the old Checker cab a big over-sized vehicle and zoomed to the stadium in no time at all.

The four of us were laughing, giggling with anticipation and trembling with a slight fear as we ride through a very rough and tumble looking neighborhood. I was the only one of us who was an actual stoner, a real hippy, a true concert goer…this was not my first rock and roll concert. I had already been to a dozen shows and was accustom to the practice of smoking weed before, during and after a rock and roll concert. The others, despite their ages, were not as experienced. This was Gino’s second rock and roll concert, I took him to see Cheap Trick at a local dive in the suburbs earlier that year but Rich and Scotty had never been to a concert before. Rich never smoked pot either, he was a straight kid who didn’t want to foul his voice with smoke. Gino smoked when I offered it but he never had any on his own and Scotty, well this was another first time for him too; Scotty tried pot for the first time that Saturday night in April. I know, I’m a bad influence, but I can’t help it, I’m BiPolar!

The Chicago Stadium, where I had seen Paul McCartney & Wings the year before, seemed like a familiar place to me and since I was the veteran concert goer, I led the way from the crowded curbside outside the stadium towards the front doors. The other followed in single file, Scotty directly behind me and Gino taking up the rear, we marched towards the open doors with our four tickets in hand. As we got to the front of the line, like a parent on a field trip, I turned to the others and explained that if we get separated, we should meet after the show, right here and handed everyone their tickets. I asked if everyone had money, they did, I scooted closer to the ticket taker and could already smell that familiar aroma of marijuana in the air. I turned to my friends, “This is going to completely blow your minds!”
               “Where’s our seats?” Scotty looked at his ticket as we took two more steps closer, “Is it close to the concession stands?”
               “We’re on the main floor, in the first section on the right…” Gino repeated, “We’re on Page’s side of the stage…far out!”
               “Yeah, we’re close to the exit, near the bathrooms and concessions stands…” I said as I stepped up to the ticket taker, a friendly Andy Frain usher wearing a bright red coat and matching cap. I handed her my ticket and she ripped it without even looking at it, handing it back to me, I smiled, “Thank you!”


              The stadium was about half full when we got to our seats, it was an hour or more until show time, but like so many others, we couldn’t wait for the show to begin. After taking our seats and discussing the excellent proximity to the stage, the fantastic sight lines and everyone complimented and thanked me for scoring the tickets. I had stayed up all night several months earlier, in the winter, outside the local Flip-side Records with about $250 cash in my pocket and nothing but a thick sleeping bag wrapped around my bundled up body. I was the only one waiting for the ticket sales most of the night, but when it started to get light, more people started showing up but I was still first in line. There were shows on multiple days, I was going to buy as many as I could for each night of Led Zeppelin’s historic 1977 tour stop in Chicago. The tickets weren’t too expensive, they were $10 each plus $1.50 transaction fee…I had visions of buying about 20 tickets but when they finally opened the doors to let us in, there was a big sign that read “Tickets Limited to 8 per person ONLY!” I bought four tickets for Saturday night show and four tickets for Sunday night’s show. Once we were all seated, everybody got to feel a little more comfortable so Scotty went hunting for food and Rich kept him company. Gino and I lit up the first of many joints, sharing it with a cute girl and her dopey boyfriend behind us, we were stoked and nothing was going to drive us from our seats that night, we stayed put.

               “So where are the seats for tomorrow night?” Gino asked as he looked around the cavernous stadium. Gino and I, along with my kid brother and my cool Uncle Duke had seats in the first balcony, on the other side of the stage, looking down on John Paul Jones. I pointed to the area, Gino nodded, “Excellent seats too…man, you really scored this time!”
               “I score every time.” I passed the last of the joint to my friend, “What’s the plan with Rich?”
               “Rich?” Gino hissed as he sucked the little roach until it fizzled, “I got another guy…” holding his breath, his eyes roll back a second before he hacked a laughing cough, “Andy! His name…” Gino choked and chuckled, “Andy and he fucking rocks! This is good weed, man…wow!” 

d'Philip with Rich in Flight, 1977...
               “I got it from Todd.” I smiled, thinking about Todd and how I invited him to come with Gino and me to this show. Todd was in the band, he started the band with Gino and me. We were originally a four piece band, like The Beatles. Todd was Lennon, I was McCartney and Gino was George…but in January, a few months early, when Gino’s father became manager of our band, he set down some rules for the group
Scotty, Gino and d'Philip in Flight, 1977...
and Todd didn’t like that but the feeling was mutual, Gino’s father didn’t much like Todd either. When we got our first real gig, a Valentine’s Day dance in 1977, after the show, Gino’s father took us out for pizza but didn’t invite Todd; Gino and his father decided Todd was not right for this group and they wanted Scotty and I to agree with them, Todd had to go. Scotty literally said he didn’t care either way, it
Scotty behind his drums in Flight, 1977...
wasn’t his concern. That’s when I knew Scotty wasn’t right for the band but I spoke up for Todd, I stood up for Todd and made a scene in the pizza joint. If Todd was out, so was I and I went to leave, getting outside when Gino caught up to me. He explained his father’s plan to invest money in the band, he wanted to help us but Todd was a trouble, he was not in control of himself, he drank too much, he smoked too much, he
The original Flight with Todd (behind Gino), 1976
was sloppy and had shaggy hair and a scruffy beard. We stood in the cold parking lot for a half hour and eventually I simply told Gino I had to think about it, “I can appreciate your dad’s interest in the band, I mean, that’s way cool…but Todd is my best friend, he’s been my mate since we were 12…he helped me learn to write music, I can’t be in the band without him.”
               “Man, d’Philip…” Gino
d'Philip with his Rickenbaker, 1977...
shook his head, “My dad said he would buy you a Rick!”
               “A Rick? Really?” we were talking about a Rickenbacker 2001 bass guitar, a blond colored one, just like Paul McCartney was playing in Wings, a $1,000 instrument to replace my cheap violin shaped Hofner knock-off bass (like the one Paul played in The Beatles) that I bought for $50 in a garage sale. This was a big step up, both as an instrument and as a player, this was a real axe, a professional brand instrument. I nodded and looked up at Gino, “I’ll call you in the morning.”
               “How’s old Todd doing?” Gino asked as we continued making small talk before the show, “He still working at that factory?”
               “Nope.” I didn’t like talking about Todd with Gino, “He’s got a better job and a new guitar.”
               “Yeah?” Gino didn’t really care as he stood up to try and get a better look at the stage set-up, “What kind?”
               “Alverez?” I said and changed the subject, “When I saw Wings last year, we were sitting way up there…” I pointed across the stadium to the back side and Gino followed my finger, “It was far, but a great view and it sounded fucking incredible!”
               “I bet…” Gino continued to gaze around the arena as it continued filling up more quickly, “It’s going to get loud in here tonight, look at those speaker columns!”
               “Yeah, man…it’s going to be, wow…” I was still thinking about Todd, about how I wish he was here with us, about what a waste of a ticket it was to sell one to Rich when, on cue, Rich and Scotty returned to the seats, squeezing past me to sit down between Gino and I, smiling I said, “Find what you’re looking for?”
               “Man, there are some hot chicks here!” Rich gushed, “I mean totally foxy ladies!”
               “These pretzels are good.” Scotty mumble with a mouthful of junk food, “Really good.”

  
             The conversation continued to meander between the show, the stage, the audience and pretzels for another 15 or 20 minutes before, without even having noticed, the stadium was almost full and it was only minutes to show time! I was getting anxious, excited, I knew the moments were drawing near but I kept it to myself and simply dropped from the conversation to keep my eyes on the prize and watch the stage waiting. I again started thinking about Todd, wishing it was him next to me, watching the stage, waiting. He didn’t want to come, since leaving the band he and Gino stopped talking all together and Todd was hanging out with a new girlfriend. That’s what he said he had to do Saturday night, he had a date with Maureen, his Korean girlfriend. My original plan was Todd coming with me and my uncle, along with my brother on the last night, for Sunday night’s show. Todd agreed when I asked him, but then he said he couldn’t pay for his ticket. I offered to give it to him, plus pay for his food and even buy him a concert shirt, but he gave me another lame excuse about Maureen’s family being all Christian and since it was east Sunday, he had to go to that, but I knew it was bullshit. Todd didn’t believe in God, Todd was a devote atheist, in fact he taught me about atheism! There was something more, but the only other reason for Todd not wanting to go was me, was it because of me? I was about to imagine all the reasons why Todd could be cross with me, why he might not like me anymore, but as soon as I started to think hard and deep, the house lights went out and the crowd roared to their feet! It was as loud as 100 freight trains, rumbling the rafters of the old stadium and continuing for five or ten minutes, in nearly total darkness. Clapping, cheering, whistling cat calls and yelling out their names, we waited with growing mania for Led Zeppelin to take the stage in Chicago that night.


 
            The house lights went even darker in the few moments it took for the band to walk on stage, we were standing on our folding chair seats, our arms raised high, cheering…everyone except Rich, he sat there and clapped with a half-assed enthusiasm. I saw Plant first, then I could see Bonham behind the drums…I leaned up on my toes to peek for John Paul Jones, he was my favorite Led Zep member, but I couldn’t see him. Then, before I could spot anything else the stage washed alight with a bright yellow and white flash and the band launched into a rocking rendition of “The Song Remains The Same” and for the entire song, the entire audience on the floor
stood on top of these rickety folding chairs, rocking back and forth, a collective frenzy while Page ripped his Les Paul wide open and Plant wailed those arcing, arching notes reverberating throughout the stadium. I looked over at Gino, his eyes glued to Page, his jaw dropped wide, mesmerized. Scotty was shaking his head back and forth, his scrawny body nearly tipping off the chair until, after an eternal moment that went by in a flash, the song was over. One by one, at first then in droves, everyone started getting off the chairs as the Andy Frain ushers flashed lights and yelled at us while the band reset themselves for a moment. I thought, for just a moment, I heard them start to play “The Rover”, I looked at Gino because this was one of the songs I wanted the band to do but instead of performing it, Led Zeppelin instead played a song I wasn’t so familiar with, “Sick Again” and Gino looked at me with a quizzical look. Something was amiss, I watched the band as the rocked through this second tune, I traded places with both Scotty and Rich so I could sit next to Gino and whipped out a second joint.
Lighting the thin twisted wicked cigarette shaped weed, I took a deep breath, inhaling a huge hit. Holding the smoke in my lungs, I pass the joint to Gino and he took a small hit, passing it right back to me before I could exhale my first hit. I tapped Scotty’s shoulder to offer him a hit too, but he didn’t respond. The cute chick behind us asked for a hit and so I turned around and shared the joint with her and her boyfriend as the band continued with a killer “Nobody’s Fault But Mine” and we all sort of danced, jerked, swayed and jammed to the heavy, bluesy music. The cute chick and I were making serious eye contact during “Since I’ve Been Loving You” but then, as the band sort of stalled for a moment, Gino turned around and said, “I think something is wrong, I think Page is stoned!”
               “What?” I could barely break eye contact with the cute chick as Gino tugged my arm, “What are you talking about?” I looked at the stage and from where I stood, I could see some stage hand roadie guy handing Jimmy Page a towel. Page wiped his face, he was sweating and swaggered without his confident sway as they played “No Quarter” and I agreed with Gino, “Yeah, he’s off tonight, right?”
               “I wonder why?” Gino asked as we jammed with band, Scotty was still in his own little world and Rich looked like he was bored by it all. I glanced back at the cute chick a few times and every time I did, she and I made eye contact. Gino was whistling as Led Zep finished the song, Plant said something but we couldn’t hear what he said, Gino turned to me, “What did he say? This is the last song?”
               “Last song?” I looked at my wrist as if I had a watch, but I didn’t. I looked behind us, looking for the cute chick but she was gone. I saw some man make an angry, pissed off face and as the band launched into a final song, I turned to Gino, “Ten Years Gone?”
               “What you mean the temperature is wrong?”
               “No, Ten Years Gone, the fucking song!” I pointed at the band, this was one of their closing songs, I knew because they had been talking about it on the radio, I said, “Why is the show so short?”
               “I know, this isn’t right.” The song continued for it’s typical 8 to 10 minutes of jamming riffs and clever drum fills with soaring vocals and pumping bass but it just didn’t feel right. When they were done, when the song was over, the band just left the stage. There was no encore, despite the cheers and even before we could hold our lighters up in praise, the house lights came on and there was some kind of announcement coming from the stadium sound system. “What’s going on?” Gino had a look of panic and anger in his eyes, “This is fucked up, wait, what’s going on?”
               “We have to leave.” Rick said flatly and stood up, pushing past Scotty he said, “Let’s go, before there’s no taxi cabs left.”
               “This is bullshit, I paid fucking ten dollars for this ticket, but I only got half a show?” I stopped a guy who was wearing a watch as he was walking by us, “Hey buddy, what time is it?”
               “It’s only 9:25…” the guy rolled his eyes and shrugged, “It was just over an hour long.”
               “An hour?” I was getting upset, but instead of just following with the crowd, I sat back down and pulled out a third joint, I looked at Gino, “I’m going to sit here and wait for the cattle to pass…” I lit the tip of the rice paper and it flamed like flash paper for a second, I smiled, “You want to join me?”
               “Yeah, that’s a good idea.” Gino sat down next to me, pulling his feet up on the seats, I handed him the joint, “I think Page is sick or something.”
               “You guys want to wait up with us?” I turned to Rich and Scotty but they were already at the end of the aisle. Rich was leading and Scotty was looking back at me, he shrugged before I turned back to Gino as he handed me the quickly burning doobie, “Rich is an ass and Scotty is a flake, if you and your dad are serious about this band, they both have to go…soon.”


               “I am, Rich is gone, I got this guy Andy Kapinicolous…” Gino shook his head while I sucked on the joint hard, like I was Tommy Chong, I listened, “He just uses Kapin, Andy Kapin…but he’s a pro, he’s in a band now but he’s quitting this weekend…he plays guitar too, he’s got the moves, he gets it, he’s in…”
               “So when is Rich out?” I asked and handed the already roach sized joint, “What about Scotty?”
               “Rich is out this week, as soon as Andy is in for sure.” Gino took a short toke on the roach and  as he handed it back to me, it slipped between our fingertips and we both laughed, “Shit!”
               “Hey fellas! You gotta go!” an Andy Frain usher was walking up the aisle towards us, we took our feet off the seats and started to stand up as the friendly, darkly, oldly usher approached us, “Time to go, thank you for coming tonight.”
               “Man, why was the show so short?” I asked the man as we walked in front of him, “I know the other nights it was almost 3 hours long, right?”
               “Somebody was sick…” the kindly man weakly smiled as we got to the end the row and headed towards the exits, “The guitar player was sick, that’s what I heard.”
               “No shit?” I shook the old usher’s hand, “Thanks man.”
               “Have a good night gentlemen.” The usher went towards the stage to clear out more people while Gino and walked in silence towards the exits and outside. Along the way Gino stopped at a concession stand to buy some merchandise, being a wealthy kid had it’s perks. I stood off to the side, near the doors and made small talk with some guy from Michigan. The guy had drove for six hours from Saginaw, only to have this happen, the show cut short. I told him what the usher said, about Page being ill but that didn’t make this guy feel better. He swore, never again, he was never coming to Chicago again. I agreed as Gino finally finished up and we went outside looking for our two friends. It was a very breezy evening, early April cold winds and we lost in a mass sea of dazed and confused people. Gino was practically walking on my heels as I scooted through the scene towards the outside curbs and then, before we could cross the street, a cop on a horse rode up in front of us, “Whoa there!” the cop yelled, “You can’t go there, it’s not safe.”

              “Not safe?” Gino asked as if the concept was so absurd but I knew what the cop was talking about, so I pulled my friend in the other direction and nodded to the friendly horse with a cop on its back, “What the hell man, where’s Rich and Scotty?”


               “We said to meet in front, right?” I asked, I turned around a few times to get my bearings, Gino was silent, “The front is over there, we came out the south side…” I started walking along the side of the building, huddling close against the cold wind that started to sprinkle cold misty disappointment in our young faces. The front of the building was still a madhouse, swarming people, smelly swarming people ducking out of the cold misty that started to rain and crushing towards the front doors even as others were being pushed outside by the Andy Frain usher army inside. I climbed on top of a newsbox looking for Rick or Scotty, calling out their names. Gino spotted me, looking at ground level through the passing sea of people and faces. I started to slip, the newsbox was wet and my glasses were too spotted to see clearly, I called down to Gino, “I don’t see them, let’s get over there.”
               “What if they left?” Gino asked as we snaked between people walking in an opposite flow, we got to the very spot we said we’d meet and we were still alone, just Gino and me, “Did they leave us?”
               “Maybe.” I said, but inside I believed they did leave already, I shrugged, “We’ll wait here until the crowd is thin, if they’re not here then, well…we’ll see, right?”


               Gino and I hung around that area in front of the ticket box for about a half hour before another horse with a cop on it came up and told us to giddy-up and get going. Rich and Scotty were not to be found, but even worse, there were no taxi cabs either. I walked to the corner of Madison and Damen streets and read the CTA bus sign, I suggested we wait for the next bus east to Union Station but Gino didn’t want to stay still, he said he felt like a sitting a duck. Then I realized, we were the only white faces, the only white kids left and it was a long way from home.  

We decided to start walking down Madison Street towards the Loop and Union Station and if a bus came along, we’d get on it but after more than a half hour, we were soaking wet and cold as hell, we got to Union Station. It was a ghost hall, an empty marble shell without any people, we walked to the train board to find the next train back to Arlington Park and I noticed the large gothic looking clock, it was half past one in the morning. I was about to tell Gino that we missed the last train when we heard a pair of running feet and somebody calling out our names, it was Scotty!
               “Hey Scotty!” Gino yelled and ran towards the center of the big station house, I saw Scotty running from a far corner and way behind him, stepping slowly from the shadows, was Rich, he looked pissed. Gino started to tell Scotty about our adventure, “Man, we walked all the way here!”
               “You’re lucky you made it alive.” Rick said with a snarky tone, “We missed the last train.”
               “Yeah, Rich said we should go…” Scotty hugged Gino like a brother soldier, “But I didn’t want to leave you guys behind.”
               “We’re alright.” I smiled and then asked, “So, what’s the plan?”
               “The plan?!?” Rich exploded, “The plan? What the hell Chalmers…you think you can plan for shit like this…why didn’t you guys leave with us, when we left? This is your fault!”
               “Nobody’s Fault But Mine!” I quote Led Zeppelin, but I was the only one who got the joke, “The next train is in six hours, we can just wait.”
               “Wait?” Rich’s fists were clenched as he paced back and forth, he wanted to hit me, I could see the violence in his eyes, he wanted to leave me have it but instead he barked, “I’m not going to wait!”
               “Okay!” I mimicked him, sort of barking a response, “What will you do? What will you do?”
               “Fuck you, asshole!” Rich spit on the floor in front of me and I laughed as he snorted, turned away towards the doors, muttering loudly, “Come on Scotty, Gino…you can come.”
               “Where are you going?” Gino asked as Scotty started to follow Rich, “Scotty?”
               “Home.” Scotty smiled, “Rich’s dad is paying for a taxi to take us home.”
               “Cool…” Gino nodded and started to follow them, “You coming d’Philip?”
               “Not him!” Rich yelled and pointed at me as he held the door open for the others, “Only you two, let’s go, now!”
               “You can’t leave him here…” Gino started to reason with Rich as he continued walking towards the door, “He’ll be alone.”

               I couldn’t hear the rest of the conversation because Gino walked outside with Rich and Scotty while I stood still, in the middle of this huge train station, alone. I watched them for a minute, I could only see their legs and then, after a few minutes, I couldn’t see their legs anymore. Nobody came back in and eventually I wandered to a comfortable bench in the far side of the station. I was soaking wet, every layer of clothing was drenched but I stripped down to my bare chest long enough to squeeze the water from my concert shirt. I draped the new shirt on the back of the bench and slipped my thick, heavy soaked jean jacket back on and sat there alone for hours. I drifted off a time or two, nodding asleep only to jerk myself awake with the awareness that I was alone in a dangerous place. I stayed in the same spot, half curled up, my glasses off and my hair dried with a wild busy mane. I knew it was getting close to morning when more people started coming through the station. There were workers first, ticket agents and engineers, people who opened the coffee and donut shops and news stands. I got a burst of energy and grabbed my still damp concert shirt, bought myself a daily Tribune and cup of coffee then went to look at the train schedule board; I was just in time, the train to Arlington Park was leaving in ten minutes on Track 5A, across the station, on the other side! I went dashing through the crowd, which now had ballooned into throngs of pastel dressed families and people off to church for Easter Sunday. Me in my shirtless jean jacket wild hair warrior with a coffee cup in one hand and a damp Led Zeppelin concert t-shirt in the other went sprinting through the station with barely a moment to spare before jumping on the first train back home, the train jerked loose and started to slowly roll away.



               On the ride home I read how Jimmy Page had fallen ill to food poisoning which is why the show was cut so short. The same article said the band promised to make up at Sunday night’s final Chicago show. I folded the paper to that article and dozed off for the remaining 30 minute ride back to Arlington Park and when I got off the train, the skies had cleared and the sun was shining. The walk from the train station to our townhouse was long, but I didn’t mind. I pulled my concert shirt back on, flipped my still damp jean jacket collar up against the still breezy April morning and marched home quickly. I came inside, it was quarter of eight, my mother was up. I walked into the kitchen, she was sitting there, silent, smoking and sipping black coffee, she glanced up at me sharply. I knew why she was pissed, I knew I should have called her but I had no other excuse to offer except that Gino and Rich ditched me and I didn’t want to wake her up in the middle of the night. That was the truth, but it felt like a lie because I knew it was not the right thing to do, why didn’t I just call my mom? Mom was happy I was safe and I asked her, “Gino is a really selfish guy, isn’t he?”
               “Well, look at his father…” mom kissed my forehead, “You just be a better man than your father, okay? I’m going to take a shower and I promised Aunt Marge I’d take her to church.”
               “Okay…” I sat at the table for a moment, still wearing my damp clothes and sort of spacing out when there was a light knock tapping sound on the sliding glass door behind me. I turned to see Todd, still in his robe, holding a cup of coffee and smoking and smiling, I opened the door, “Hey man, good morning! What are you doing up this early?”
               “Maureen’s family is picking me up for church…” Todd rolled his eyes and then, in a an excited tone, he asked, “So how was the show?”
               “It sucked man…” I stepped outside and then shook my head, “Well, Jimmy Page got sick…”
               “On stage?!”
               “No, not literally…” I laughed, “The show rocked, but it was cut short.”
               “You just getting home?” Todd noticed my new Led Zeppelin concert shirt, “Did you stay at Gino’s or something?”
               “No, man…it’s fucked up.” I told Todd the story, the whole story about all the bull shit all night long and although I could have go on talking more, he had some place to be, I concluded, “So how late are you going to be with Maureen’s family?”
               “I should be home about 4 or so…” Todd grinned, “Why?”
               “Want Gino’s ticket?”
               “Hell yeah!”



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

www.dphilipchalmers.net
               The above excerpt is from a chapter NOT INCLUDED in my book “My BiPolar Reality; How Life Goes On…” because it was both a rather large chapter as well as it may have merit on it’s own in another collection of stories I’m considering called “My Life In The Rock and Roll Gutter” which would be a combination of stories about the great concerts and music I grew up with and my own experience playing a couple of garage bands during the mid 1970’s…so it’s a taste of something yet to come as well as something that once was a part of my current story. The relevance of BiPolar in this particular story is demonstrated in the actions and decisions I was making at that formative time in my life. I was already starting to alienate people by my actions, I was putting myself at risk and I was endangering the lives of others, but it didn’t seem to matter very much to me. That’s one of the dangers of BiPolar, you fool yourself into believing you’re indestructible, you become fearless and that somehow both attracts other people into your cyclone of emotional drama and damages them in the end. It does make for an exciting life, leaping from adventure to adventure is addictive too. But I was so lucky I didn’t die, so many times I was closer to death than I can imagine. Living on the edge is a thrill, but it’s danger which makes it worth the risk…the ultimate all or nothing game.

               In my experiences since those wild youthful days, throughout the 20 years of having BiPolar but not being diagnosed or treated as well as the almost 20 years of treatment and eventual recovery, I have managed to hold onto part of that intrepid spirit, the fearless pioneer, the wayward warrior on an exploration spree because it is truly a part of who I am, who I believe I am; “We are what we think.” says Buddha and methinks there’s truth in that idea. I was once so broken, so destroyed and shell of a human that many people would have rather ended their lives than lived through the pain and suffering I’ve endured…and yes, I have experienced the very worse emotional pains imaginable, but if not for that wayward warrior inside of me, without the courage of that fearless pioneer, without the blind faith of my intrepid spirit, I never would have made it back from that brink either. BiPolar brings forth the opportunity to completely live on the edge, sometimes the edge is exciting and thrilling and fun but sometimes, the edge is sharp, crumbling under your feet and falling into an endless black abyss. It takes some help and a fuck ton of self-determination and practice to remain balanced.

But it’s not impossible, given time and tenderness, remembering to never give up but always forgive yourself if you fall or fail (that’s where the lessons are learned, in our mistakes).


It’s been a great family weekend for us here in The San Joaquin Valley and this week is off to a very busy start as I get ready to hit the road this month. I am looking forward to getting back to San Francisco and San Jose again, then towards the end of the month is infamous “420 Festival” in Golden Gate Park, on Hippie Hill (naturally); last year my wife and I attended this event, it was quite a scene! There’s a few other things in motion, but I hesitate mentioning them just yet, so instead I’m going to simply end this week’s blog article with a most Grateful expression of joy! I sincerely thank you for taking the time to read, subscribe, re-share and comment on my blogs and remember, take care, be well and stay safe!










Peace,
d’Philip
06 April 2015
The San Joaquin Valley
Republic of California

Earth